iOS and Android Grow at the Same Pace
According to eMarketer, approximately 121 million smartphone users lived in the U.S. in 2012. In 2014, analysts are predicting a rise to 160 million smartphone users, equating to a 32 percent increase. Android will remain the most popular smartphone operating system for the next two years with 76 million active devices forecast for 2014. iOS comes second with 63 million iPhone owners.
eMarketer expects both systems to grow at the same pace, which is close to a 45 percent increase in comparison with 2012. Windows phone likewise will gain more weight in terms of its user base. By 2014, there will be eight million Windows Phone users (+38 percent). In contrast, Blackberry is enduring a downward spiral with a user base loss of 25 percent (11.8 million users).
- Smartphone market in ChinaApple Fails to Gain Traction in China's Smartphone Market
This chart breaks down smartphone sales in four major markets between March and May 2014, by operating system.
- AndroidAndroid Wear Smartwatches Work With Less Than 25% of Android Devices
This chart shows active devices running Android by version and smartwatch compatibility.
- AndroidAndroid Dominates UK Smartphone Sales
This chart shows the smartphone sales share in the UK by operating system.
- Mobile App UsageHow Many Apps U.S. Smartphone Owners Use Per Month
This chart shows how many apps U.S. smartphone owners use per month and how much time they spend with apps.
- AmazonAmazon Prime Members Heavily Outspend Non-Prime Customers
This chart shows how much Amazon Prime members spend on Amazon.com compared to regular customers.
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to June 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales Q3 2007-Q2 2014
- Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017Forecast: smartphone users in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2017
- U.S. smartphone user share 2010-2014, by operating systemU.S. smartphone user share 2010-2014, by operating system
- Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018Forecast: number of smartphone users in the U.S. 2010-2018
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter