Apple Is Lagging Behind in Terms of Smartphone Growth
As the high end segment of the smartphone market is becoming increasingly saturated, Apple is starting to feel the pressure from its smaller competitors in the smartphone market. While Apple increased smartphone shipments by 13% in 2013, its competitors managed to realize much higher growth rates.
The overall market grew by 38 percent, i.e. almost three times as fast as Apple’s smartphone business. Granted, Apple still takes the lion’s share of profits, but the fact that iPhone sales are slumping doesn’t bode well for Apple’s future growth opportunities.
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 2nd quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2014, by quarter
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
- Rate of large businesses suffering from security breaches in the UK 2014, by typeRate of large businesses suffering from security breaches in the UK 2014, by type
- IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014
- Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013Top car brands based on value from car owner opinion in the U.S. 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter