Android's Smartphone Dominance Is Growing
As smartphone shipments topped the one billion mark for the first time in 2013, Android continues to dominate the market. According to IDC, Google's open operating system was installed on almost 80 percent of all smartphones shipped in the past year, up from just 49 percent in 2011. Apple's iOS remains number 2 in the increasingly concentrated market, in which the market share of Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS remains in the low single-digits.
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to June 2015 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2015
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of May 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2015
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2015, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales 2009-2014, by OSGlobal smartphone sales 2009-2014, by OS
- Global market share smartphone operating systems of unit shipments 2014-2019Global market share smartphone operating systems of unit shipments 2014-2019
- U.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2015, by monthU.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2015, by month
- Forecast: revenue portrait photography studios US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue portrait photography studios US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue radio stations US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue radio stations US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue radio networks US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue radio networks US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue wireless telecommunications UK 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens