Android's Smartphone Dominance Is Growing
As smartphone shipments topped the one billion mark for the first time in 2013, Android continues to dominate the market. According to IDC, Google's open operating system was installed on almost 80 percent of all smartphones shipped in the past year, up from just 49 percent in 2011. Apple's iOS remains number 2 in the increasingly concentrated market, in which the market share of Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS remains in the low single-digits.
- Global Apple iPhone sales from 3rd quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2015 (in million units)
Global Apple iPhone sales 2007-2015, by quarter
- Global smartphone sales to end users from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global smartphone sales by operating system 2009-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by leading smartphone vendors from 4th quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014
Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2009-2014, by quarter
- Forecast: global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2013-2017Forecast: global market share held by smartphone operating systems 2013-2017
- Forecast: smartphone subscribers worldwide 2009-2015, by OSForecast: smartphone subscribers worldwide 2009-2015, by OS
- U.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by monthU.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by month
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens