Amazon's Online Sales Dwarf the Competition
According to data from e-commerce research firm Internet Retailer, Amazon remains miles ahead of the U.S. competition in the online retail space. In 2013, Amazon's online retail sales amounted to $67.9 billion, more than the next 9 largest e-retailers combined.
Surprisingly, the second largest player in the e-commerce game is not a large retailer such as Wal-Mart or Staples, but Apple. The iPhone-maker reportedly sold goods and services worth $18.3 billion through its website, the App Store and the iTunes Store in the past year.
Amazon's increasingly dominant position in the e-commerce market is owed largely to the company's aggressive growth strategy. Under CEO Jeff Bezos, Amazon has become known to reinvest most of its earnings, which is why the company has yet to turn a meaningful profit.
Correction: A previous version of this post said that these are the largest online retailers in the world. While that is definitely true in Amazon's case, the chart below only includes U.S. companies, hence these are the largest U.S. online retailers.
- United StatesThe Richest Families in America
This chart shows the top 10 wealthiest families in the United States in 2014.
- AmazonAmazon Prime Members Heavily Outspend Non-Prime Customers
This chart shows how much Amazon Prime members spend on Amazon.com compared to regular customers.
- TabletsThe iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
This chart shows the Top 8 tablet brands in North America, based on their share of tablet-based web usage in April 2014.
- AppleApple Got Sued the Most Over Patents Last Year
This chart shows U.S. patent-infringement suits filed against the following companies in 2013.
- AppleApple Got Sued 59 Times Over Patents Last Year
This chart ranks the companies that were sued the most for U.S. patent infringements in 2013.
- Amazon's quarterly revenue from 1st quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Amazon's B2C e-commerce revenue as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Amazon's net income from 1st quarter 2009 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Amazon's net income as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Net income of Amazon.com from 2004 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Amazon: annual net income 2004-2013
- Leading online retailers offering click-and-collect in the UK 2009-2013Leading online retailers offering click-and-collect in the UK 2009-2013
- Trust in online retailers in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2012Trust in online retailers in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2012
- Average delivery cost of online retailers in the UK 2013, by delivery optionAverage delivery cost of online retailers in the UK 2013, by delivery option
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter