The iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
Despite the iPad's disappointing recent sales figures, Apple remains the number one tablet brand by a wide margin. Even though Apple's competitors, Samsung in particular, have recently narrowed the gap in terms of shipments, Apple's installed base (the company sold more than 200 million iPads since its introduction in June 2010) is still far greater than that of any of the company's competitors.
Data recently published by online ad network Chitika nicely illustrates how big Apple's lead in the tablet market still is. Chitika tracks tablet usage based on tablet-based impressions in its ad network and no competing brand even comes close to Apple in that regard. In April 2014, iPads accounted for 77% of tablet-based web usage in North America, dwarfing the share of Samsung and Amazon at 8% and 6% respectively.
- Projected unit shipments of tablets worldwide from 2010 to 2019 (in million units)
Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2019
- Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 4th quarter 2014 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2014, by quarter
- Global tablet shipments from 2010 to 2014, by operating system (in million units)
Global tablet shipments by operating system per quarter 2010-2014
- Tablet usage in North America by brand 2015Tablet usage in North America by brand 2015
- Market share of tablet brands in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013Market share of tablet brands in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013
- Survey: consumer satisfaction with tablet devices in the U.S. 2013Survey: consumer satisfaction with tablet devices in the U.S. 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens