The iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
Despite the iPad's disappointing recent sales figures, Apple remains the number one tablet brand by a wide margin. Even though Apple's competitors, Samsung in particular, have recently narrowed the gap in terms of shipments, Apple's installed base (the company sold more than 200 million iPads since its introduction in June 2010) is still far greater than that of any of the company's competitors.
Data recently published by online ad network Chitika nicely illustrates how big Apple's lead in the tablet market still is. Chitika tracks tablet usage based on tablet-based impressions in its ad network and no competing brand even comes close to Apple in that regard. In April 2014, iPads accounted for 77% of tablet-based web usage in North America, dwarfing the share of Samsung and Amazon at 8% and 6% respectively.
- Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2016, by quarter Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2016, by quarter
- Tablet usage in North America by brand 2015Tablet usage in North America by brand 2015
- Production volume of the Apple iPad by model 2013-2015Production volume of the Apple iPad by model 2013-2015
- Media reach in the U.S. 2014Media reach in the U.S. 2014
- Global tablet user penetration forecast 2013-2019Global tablet user penetration forecast 2013-2019
- Forecast number of tablet users worldwide 2013-2019Forecast number of tablet users worldwide 2013-2019
- Average daily media use in the U.S. 2010-2014Average daily media use in the U.S. 2010-2014
- Number of available apps in the Apple App Store 2008-2016Number of available apps in the Apple App Store 2008-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens