Tech World Remains Male-Dominated
It is a long-standing rumour that the tech industry is dominated by men. Unfortunately, companies aren't obliged to publicly disclose data about the composition of their workforce, but luckily some do it nonetheless. Diversity reports issued by Google, Yahoo, LinkedIn, Intel, Facebook and most recently Twitter all point in the same direction: The tech industry is indeed male-dominated.
In all of these companies, the large majority of the global workforce is male, as our chart shows. The degree of female employment is even lower when considering leadership positions and what the companies call "tech jobs". While women account for 52% of non-tech jobs at Yahoo, they make up no more than 15% of tech jobs and 23% of leadership positions. The same is true at Google, where 21% of leadership positions and 17% of tech jobs are occupied by women.
- Distribution of the 10 leading causes of death among women in the United States in 2010
Leading causes of death among women in the United States 2010
- Percentage of U.S. women with private insurance who have received a medical screening test within the past two years, by screening type 2008
Screening tests among private insurance policy holders in the U.S. (women)
- Successful women in modern art, based on Manager magazine's fame ranking, by average ranking over the past 7 years
Fame ranking - women in modern art
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2014Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2014
- Usage of internet video portals in Germany 2007-2014Usage of internet video portals in Germany 2007-2014
- Forecast: shipment value breakfast cereal manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value breakfast cereal manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value beet sugar manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value beet sugar manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value wet corn milling US 2008-2020
- Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value dog and cat food manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue drycleaning and laundry services US 2008-2020Forecast: revenue drycleaning and laundry services US 2008-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens