Tech World Remains Male-Dominated
It is a long-standing rumour that the tech industry is dominated by men. Unfortunately, companies aren't obliged to publicly disclose data about the composition of their workforce, but luckily some do it nonetheless. Diversity reports issued by Google, Yahoo, LinkedIn, Intel, Facebook and most recently Twitter all point in the same direction: The tech industry is indeed male-dominated.
In all of these companies, the large majority of the global workforce is male, as our chart shows. The degree of female employment is even lower when considering leadership positions and what the companies call "tech jobs". While women account for 52% of non-tech jobs at Yahoo, they make up no more than 15% of tech jobs and 23% of leadership positions. The same is true at Google, where 21% of leadership positions and 17% of tech jobs are occupied by women.
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017Big Mac index - global prices for a Big Mac 2017
- Weekend box office revenue - March 2017Weekend box office revenue - March 2017
- Worldwide weekend box office revenue - March 2017Worldwide weekend box office revenue - March 2017
- Instagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile sizeInstagram: video and image post user interactions 2016, by profile size
- Iron ore prices monthly 2016-2017Iron ore prices monthly 2016-2017
- Weekend box office revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) March 17-19, 2017Weekend box office revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) March 17-19, 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl