2014: The Deadliest Ever Ebola Virus Outbreak
According to the World Health Organisation, the most recent outbreak of the Ebola virus has proven the deadliest on record. After a few cases emerged in Guinea in March, the outbreak has picked up alarming speed, infecting approximately 759 people across Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Out of those infected, 467 have already died, a catastrophic 61.5 mortality rate.
Serious outbreaks have also occurred in 2000 in Uganda and 2007 in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and impaired kidney/liver function before the onset of external bleeding. The World Health Organisation have called for drastic action to halt the spread of the virus but preventative action will prove difficult, given that there are no specific treatments for Ebola.
- Global pharmaceutical industry sales in 2014, by region (in billion U.S. dollars)*
Global pharmaceutical sales by region 2014
- Persons employed in all U.S. health service sites from 2000 to 2014 (in 1,000)
Persons employed in all U.S. health service sites 2000-2014
- U.S. national health expenditure from 1960 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
U.S. national health expenditure 1960-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens