2014: The Deadliest Ever Ebola Virus Outbreak
According to the World Health Organisation, the most recent outbreak of the Ebola virus has proven the deadliest on record. After a few cases emerged in Guinea in March, the outbreak has picked up alarming speed, infecting approximately 759 people across Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Out of those infected, 467 have already died, a catastrophic 61.5 mortality rate.
Serious outbreaks have also occurred in 2000 in Uganda and 2007 in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and impaired kidney/liver function before the onset of external bleeding. The World Health Organisation have called for drastic action to halt the spread of the virus but preventative action will prove difficult, given that there are no specific treatments for Ebola.
- Persons employed in all U.S. health service sites from 2000 to 2013 (in 1,000)
Persons employed in all U.S. health service sites 2000-2013
- U.S. national health expenditure from 1960 to 2011 (in billion U.S. dollars)
U.S. national health expenditure 1960-2011
- Number of people without health insurance in the United States from 1990 to 2012 (in millions)
U.S. Americans without health insurance 1990-2012
- Death rates of West African Ebola and major infectious diseases 2014Death rates of West African Ebola and major infectious diseases 2014
- Cases of selected infectious diseases worldwide 2013Cases of selected infectious diseases worldwide 2013
- Number of reported cases of selected infectious diseases by world region 2013Number of reported cases of selected infectious diseases by world region 2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens