2014: The Deadliest Ever Ebola Virus Outbreak
According to the World Health Organisation, the most recent outbreak of the Ebola virus has proven the deadliest on record. After a few cases emerged in Guinea in March, the outbreak has picked up alarming speed, infecting approximately 759 people across Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Out of those infected, 467 have already died, a catastrophic 61.5 mortality rate.
Serious outbreaks have also occurred in 2000 in Uganda and 2007 in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Early symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and impaired kidney/liver function before the onset of external bleeding. The World Health Organisation have called for drastic action to halt the spread of the virus but preventative action will prove difficult, given that there are no specific treatments for Ebola.
- Death rates of West African Ebola and major infectious diseases 2016Death rates of West African Ebola and major infectious diseases 2016
- Cases of selected infectious diseases worldwide 2014Cases of selected infectious diseases worldwide 2014
- Number of reported cases of selected infectious diseases by world region 2014Number of reported cases of selected infectious diseases by world region 2014
- Interest in Zika virus news in the U.S. by genderInterest in Zika virus news in the U.S. by gender
- Concern about the Zika virus in the U.S. by genderConcern about the Zika virus in the U.S. by gender
- Opinion on U.S. government spending on Zika virus research by gender 2016Opinion on U.S. government spending on Zika virus research by gender 2016
- Total number of people living with HIV worldwide 2001-2015Total number of people living with HIV worldwide 2001-2015
- Total number of new HIV infections worldwide 2001-2015Total number of new HIV infections worldwide 2001-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl