Cable Leads in Median Broadband Data Usage
With growing adoption of online video streaming, the data demand of U.S. consumers continues to increase at a rapid pace. According to “Measuring Broadband America”, a study recently published by the FCC, the median monthly data consumption per broadband subscriber ranges from 12 GB (DSL) to more than 28 GB (Cable). In other words: every second broadband cable subscriber uses AT LEAST 28 GB per month. That is a lot of traffic to handle for internet service providers and as the report shows the ever-growing hunger for data is starting to affect performance: In peak hours (between 8pm and 10pm) download speeds across all ISPs dipped in what can be described as an internet traffic jam. Some ISPs, such as Comcast, are now starting to scrap unlimited data plans and return to usage-based billing.
- Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2015 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2005-2015
- Market capitalization of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide 2015
- Number of internet users in selected countries as of March 2015 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide 2015, by country
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens