Facebook Claims Top Spot in U.S. App Ranking
Facebook, a company frequently slammed for its mobile strategy in the past, finished 2012 as the number 1 app for Android and iOS devices in the United States.
In December, 85.6 million Americans aged 18 and older used Facebook’s mobile app on either Android or iOS devices. Facebook overtook Google Maps as the most-used app in October, after Apple had decided to dump Google’s mapping app from iOS 6. Google remains a dominant force in the app space though, as 5 of the top 6 apps are Google apps.
To Facebook, the success of its mobile app is crucial. Mobile advertising accounted for 23 percent of the company’s ad revenues in the past quarter and is considered the main driver behind Facebook’s future revenue growth.
- Most popular Apple App Store categories in September 2014, by share of available apps
Most popular Apple App Store categories in September 2014
- Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from June 2008 to June 2014 (in billions)
Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014
- Number of free and paid mobile app store downloads worldwide from 2011 to 2017 (in billions)
Mobile app stores: number of free and paid downloads 2011-2017
- Number of "IKEA Catalog" apps downloaded worldwide 2011-2013Number of "IKEA Catalog" apps downloaded worldwide 2011-2013
- Mobile app downloading penetration in the United Kingdom (UK) as of December 2013Mobile app downloading penetration in the United Kingdom (UK) as of December 2013
- Forecast: number of mobile app downloads 2009-2017Forecast: number of mobile app downloads 2009-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens