Mobile App Usage - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Mobile App Usage
Mobile apps are software applications designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. They are typically available through native distribution platforms, so-called app stores which are operated by the owners of the mobile operating system. Some of the most popular operating system-native stores are Apple's App Store, Google Play, as well as Windows Phone Store and BlackBerry App World. As of June 2014, more than 75 billion mobile apps had been downloaded from the Apple App Store.
Whereas mobile apps were originally offered as productivity and information retrieval tools such as calendars, e-mail, stock market and weather information, the market has rapidly expanded due to public demand and availability of developer tools. Currently, some of the most popular app categories include gaming, entertainment and education.
Many of the most popular mobile properties are mainly accessed via mobile apps instead of mobile browsers. Popular examples are mobile social networking properties, led by Facebook with 1 billion active mobile users. Another growing market is mobile retail via B2C shopping apps, as well as mobile gaming and other possibilities of app monetization.
Mobile messenger apps have also experienced a surge in popularity. According to recent statistics, mobile messaging app WhatsApp has more than 500 million monthly active users who utilize the app's low-cost messaging features as a cheap alternative to SMS. Other popular chat app features are group chats and multimedia messages such as video or photo messages.
According to industry figures, global mobile app revenues are projected to surpass 76.52 billion U.S. dollars in 2017 with the share of paid app revenues declining to 37.8 percent.
|Mobile App Usage Overview||Values||Statistic|
|Number of mobile apps downloads worldwide||102,062m||Details →|
|Projected number of apps downloads 2017||268,692m||Details →|
|Number of free mobile apps downloads||92.88bn||Details →|
|Number of paid mobile app downloads||9.19bn||Details →|
|Worldwide mobile app revenue||$34.99bn||Details →|
|Number of apps available in Google Play store||1,500,000||Details →|
|Number of apps available in Windows Phone store||340,000||Details →|
|Number of cumulative downloads from Apple App Store||85bn||Details →|
|Reach & Traffic||Values||Statistic|
|Number of unique U.S. visitors to Facebook app on iOS||47.25m||Details →|
|Number of unique U.S. visitors to Google Play app on Android||72.25m||Details →|
|Monthly social media minutes spent on Facebook in U.S.||230||Details →|
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2015Most popular Apple App Store categories 2015
Most popular Apple App Store categories in March 2015, by share of available apps
- Apple App Store: number of downloads as of October 2014Apple App Store: number of downloads as of October 2014
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to October 2014 (in billions)
- Google Play: number of Android app downloads as of July 2013Google Play: number of Android app downloads as of July 2013
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Google Play Android app store as of July 2013 (in billions)
- Mobile app stores: number of free and paid downloads 2011-2017Mobile app stores: number of free and paid downloads 2011-2017
Number of free and paid mobile app store downloads worldwide from 2011 to 2017 (in billions)
- Leading mobile apps in the United States 2014, ranked by unique visitorsLeading mobile apps in the United States 2014, ranked by unique visitors
- Most popular mobile apps in the UK in 2012, ranked by unique visitorsMost popular mobile apps in the UK in 2012, ranked by unique visitors
- Top grossing iOS mobile gaming apps as of February 2015, ranked by daily revenueTop grossing iOS mobile gaming apps as of February 2015, ranked by daily revenue