Mobile App Usage - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about mobile app usage
Mobile apps are software applications designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. They are typically available through native distribution platforms, so-called app stores which are operated by the owners of the mobile operating system. Some of the most popular operating system-native stores are Apple's App Store, Google Play, as well as Windows Phone Store and BlackBerry App World. As of June 2015, more than 100 billion mobile apps had been downloaded from the Apple App Store.
Whereas mobile apps were originally offered as productivity and information retrieval tools such as calendars, e-mail, stock market and weather information, the market has rapidly expanded due to public demand and availability of developer tools. Currently, some of the most popular app categories include gaming, entertainment and education.
Many of the most popular mobile properties are mainly accessed via mobile apps instead of mobile browsers. Popular examples are mobile social networking properties, led by Facebook with 727 million monthly active mobile-only users. Another growing market is mobile retail via shopping apps, as well as mobile gaming and other possibilities of app monetization.
Mobile messenger apps have also experienced a surge in popularity. According to recent statistics, mobile messaging app WhatsApp has more than 900 million monthly active users who utilize the app's low-cost messaging features as a cheap alternative to SMS. Other popular chat app features are group chats and multimedia messages such as video or photo messages.
In 2014, 36 percent of smartphone and 45 percent of tablet users had purchased at least one app for their mobile device. According to industry figures, the number of mobile app buyers in the United States is projected to reach 85 million 2019.
|Mobile App Usage Overview||Values||Statistic|
|Number of mobile apps downloads worldwide||102,062m||Details →|
|Projected number of apps downloads 2017||268,692m||Details →|
|Number of free mobile apps downloads||92.88bn||Details →|
|Number of paid mobile app downloads||9.19bn||Details →|
|Worldwide mobile app revenue||$41.1bn||Details →|
|Number of apps available in Google Play store||2,200,000||Details →|
|Number of apps available in Windows Store||669,000||Details →|
|Number of cumulative downloads from Apple App Store||130bn||Details →|
|Reach & Traffic||Values||Statistic|
|Number of unique U.S. visitors to Facebook app on iOS||47.25m||Details →|
|Number of unique U.S. visitors to Google Play app on Android||72.25m||Details →|
|Monthly social media minutes spent on Facebook in U.S.||230||Details →|
- Average mobile app session length 2015, by category+Average mobile app session length 2015, by category
Average mobile app session length as of 4th quarter 2015, by category (in minutes)
- Monthly mobile app usage frequency 2016, by categoryMonthly mobile app usage frequency 2016, by category
Monthly mobile app usage frequency as of 4th quarter 2015, by category
- Leading mobile apps in the United States 2015, ranked by unique visitorsLeading mobile apps in the United States 2015, ranked by unique visitors
Most popular mobile apps in the United States as of June 2015, ranked by average unique monthly visitors (in millions)
- Most popular messaging apps 2016+Most popular messaging apps 2016
Most popular mobile messenger apps worldwide as of April 2016, based on number of monthly active users (in millions)
- Apple: most popular app store categories 2016Apple: most popular app store categories 2016
Most popular Apple App Store categories in June 2016, by share of available apps
- Number of apps available in leading app stores 2016+Number of apps available in leading app stores 2016
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of June 2016
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Number of Pokémon GO daily users in the U.S. 2016Number of Pokémon GO daily users in the U.S. 2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Pokémon GO players in the U.S. 2016, by genderPokémon GO players in the U.S. 2016, by gender