PayPal Dominates the Digital Wallet Market
The “digital wallet” refers to services that let you store payment information (i.e. credit or debit card) on your PC, smartphone or tablet to let you make on-or offline purchases without having to re-enter that information or without using your actual wallet.
As much as we read about digital wallets being the future of payments, very few people actually seem to be using such services. A new study by comScore reveals why digital wallet offerings are struggling to reach broad adoption: many people have never heard of them.
According to the study, only 51 percent of the responding consumers have ever heard of a digital payment service other than PayPal, and, to make things worse, only 12 percent of consumers have ever used one. eBay’s payment service PayPal is currently miles ahead of the competition in terms of consumer awareness and usage and it seems unlikely that any of the competing services can close that gap anytime soon. Starting off as a service to facilitate payments on eBay’s auction platform, PayPal has reached wide adoption among e-retailers and is currently pushing into physical retail as well.
When making mobile payments, which of the following payments methods do you use?
Mobile payment billing methods used in the United States 2014
Mobile payment security concerns in the United States in 2014
Mobile payment security concerns of U.S. consumers 2014
Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in selected countries in 2011, ranked by usage
Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011
- Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011
- Mobile payment billing methods used in the United States 2014Mobile payment billing methods used in the United States 2014
- Mobile payment traction outlook as of 2011Mobile payment traction outlook as of 2011
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens