Mobile Payments - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Mobile Payments
Mobile payments refer to payment services performed from or via a mobile device. The four primary models for mobile payments are premium SMS, direct mobile billing, web based payments (including apps) and contactless NFC. In the United States, 21.90 percent of mobile payment users utilized designated online wallets such as PayPal or Google Wallet and only 8.4 percent used carrier billing.
• How do you make your mobile payments?
• Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in selected countries, ranked by usage
In 2013, the global mobile payment volume amounted to 235.4 billion U.S. dollars. One of the most popular uses of mobile payment services was in making online purchases. In 2011, 36 percent of U.S. mobile payment users accessed their devices to shop online, either via mobile retail apps or online browsers.
Although the technology is currently only available on relatively few smartphone models, experts forecast that the NFC payments market will experience significant growth in the coming years. In 2011, the average spending per proximity mobile payment user in the United States was 61 U.S. dollars in 2011; this is expected to grow to 1,294 U.S. dollars in 2016.
• Number of U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction users
• U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction value from 2011 to 2016
• Average spending per U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction user
Global mobile payment readiness differs from country to country. The United States is currently ranked third in mobile payment readiness with an index score of 41.5 out of 100.
Photo: istockphoto.com / saturated
|Global mobile payment transaction volume||$235.4bn||Details →|
|Number of mobile payment users in Asia/Pacific||120.8m||Details →|
|Mobile payment transaction value in North America||$37bn||Details →|
|Credit card is most common mobile payment billing method||53.5%||Details →|
|PayPal is most popular digital wallet||44%||Details →|
|PayPal's annual mobile payment volume||$27,000m||Details →|
|PayPal's total active registered user accounts||152.5m||Details →|
|PayPal's net revenue||$1,946m||Details →|
|Proximity mobile payments||Values||Statistic|
|Forecasted U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction value by 2017||$58.42bn||Details →|
|U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction users||10.9m||Details →|
|Average spending per U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction user||$95.95||Details →|
- Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in 2011
Mobile payment methods used on smartphones in selected countries in 2011, ranked by usage
- Mobile payment billing methods used in the United States 2013Mobile payment billing methods used in the United States 2013
How do you make your mobile payments?
- Mobile payment traction outlook as of 2011Mobile payment traction outlook as of 2011
Traction and success prospects of mobile payment methods as of 2011 (by likelihood of advancement)*
- Mobile payment security concerns of U.S. consumers in 2013Mobile payment security concerns of U.S. consumers in 2013
Mobile payment security concerns of U.S. consumers who did not use mobile payment methods as of 2013
- Share of internet users who would prefer to use mobile payments as of February 2013Share of internet users who would prefer to use mobile payments as of February 2013
- Mobile payment usage among smartphone users 2013Mobile payment usage among smartphone users 2013
- Forecast: U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction users 2013-2018Forecast: U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction users 2013-2018