Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Market share held by smartphone operating systems in Australia in 2013, by month
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the market share held by the leading smartphone operating systems in Australia in 2013, by month. In the month of January the Android operating system had a market share of 57.9 percent in Australia.
Smartphone OS market share in Australia - additional information
Smartphones are becoming increasingly popular in Australia with an estimated 67.2 percent of the total population forecast to use a smartphone by 2018, a significant rise from the 43.7 percent who used a similar device in 2012. This means that by 2017, 80 percent of all mobile users will have a smartphone, in comparison to less than a quarter of users in 2010. The vast majority of people in Australia already have a mobile phone, with the number set to top 20 million people in 2017. The smartphone industry is also on the increase globally with 34 percent of the world’s population due to own a smartphone by 2017.
The dominance that the Android operating system has seen globally since 2012, with a forecasted 58.1 percent share in smartphone shipments predicted for 2015, can also be seen in the Australian market. Android had a 57.5 percent share in the Australian market by December 2013, in comparison to the 34.8 percent share of Apple’s iOS, its nearest competitor. The fierce competition between the two smartphone providers can be seen by the fact that Android’s year-high peak of 63.4 percent of the market share in August coincided with one of iOS’s lowest figures for the year. This rivalry is set to continue with Andriod and iOS predicted to hold almost 50 percent of the global market share between them by 2015.
Smartphones vary from basic phones in that they have a more advanced computing capability and connectivity. This allows users to check emails, make bank transfers, and surf the internet almost instantaneously. The importance of these features can be seen in the fact that a projected 71.5 percent of people in Australia will use the internet on their phone in 2017, an increase from 44.5 percent in 2012.
- Global market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2014, by monthGlobal market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2014, by month
- U.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by monthU.S. market share held by smartphone platforms 2012-2014, by month
- Forecast - global market share of smartphone operating systemsForecast - global market share of smartphone operating systems
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2013Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2013
- Market share held by smartphone OS in China 2013, by monthMarket share held by smartphone OS in China 2013, by month
- Smartphone OS: global market share 2011-2014, by quarterSmartphone OS: global market share 2011-2014, by quarter
- Global smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarter
- Global market share held by Apple's iPad of global tablet shipments 2012-2014Global market share held by Apple's iPad of global tablet shipments 2012-2014
- IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014IT spending growth forecast by segment in Latin America 2014
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018
- Total market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segmentTotal market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segment