Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
China: Total population from 2009 to 2019 (in millions)
|Inhabitants in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows the total population in China until 2013, with forecasts to 2019. In 2012, total population in China amounted to about 1.35 billion.
Population in China – additional information
The forecast as calculated by the IMF is based on historical population data provided by the CEIC. As of mid 2012, China was the country with the largest population worldwide, about 90 million more inhabitants than India, which ranked second with a population of about 1.26 billion people.
Due to several mechanisms put into place by the Chinese government as well as changing circumstances in the working and social environment of the Chinese people, population growth has virtually subsided over the past decade. Displaying a 0.49 percent annual growth rate in 2012, population growth in China ranks among the lowest worldwide. Nevertheless, compared to the world population in total, China held a share of about 19 percent of the overall global population in 2010.
In terms of demographic developments, the birth control efforts of the Chinese government, most prominent among them the controversial one-child policy, have facilitated a considerable imbalance of the demographic pyramid in China. Upon closer examination of the age distribution, a clear trend of an aging population becomes visible.
Under the strict birth control regime, the desire of parents to have a male child has resulted in an increased rate of abortions, which in turn has gradually shifted the ratio of male to female population towards males. As of 2012, a ratio of 118 males to 100 females in the age group of 0 to 4 year-olds has been reported.
- Total population of the United States 2014Total population of the United States 2014
Total population in the United States from 2004 to 2014 (in millions)
- Population growth in China 2003-2013Population growth in China 2003-2013
Population growth in China from 2003 to 2013
- Population of the United Kingdom (UK) 2004-2014Population of the United Kingdom (UK) 2004-2014
Total population of the United Kingdom (UK) from 2004 to 2014 (in millions)
- Total population of Syria 2010Total population of Syria 2010
Syria: Total population from 2000 to 2010 (in million inhabitants)
- Population in China in 2012, by regionPopulation in China in 2012, by region
Population in China in 2012, by region (in million inhabitants)
- China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector November 2014China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector November 2014
- GDP per capita in leading industrialized and emerging countries 2014GDP per capita in leading industrialized and emerging countries 2014
- Monthly inflation rate in China by sector as of November 2014Monthly inflation rate in China by sector as of November 2014
- CPI inflation forecast comparison UK 2014-2018CPI inflation forecast comparison UK 2014-2018
- GDP growth forecast comparison UK 2014-2018GDP growth forecast comparison UK 2014-2018
- Inheritance tax income forecast United Kingdom (UK) 2014-2020Inheritance tax income forecast United Kingdom (UK) 2014-2020