Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
China: Total population from 2009 to 2019 (in millions)
|Inhabitants in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows the total population in China until 2013, with forecasts to 2019. In 2012, total population in China amounted to about 1.35 billion.
Population in China – additional information
The forecast as calculated by the IMF is based on historical population data provided by the CEIC. As of mid 2012, China was the country with the largest population worldwide, about 90 million more inhabitants than India, which ranked second with a population of about 1.26 billion people.
Due to several mechanisms put into place by the Chinese government as well as changing circumstances in the working and social environment of the Chinese people, population growth has virtually subsided over the past decade. Displaying a 0.49 percent annual growth rate in 2012, population growth in China ranks among the lowest worldwide. Nevertheless, compared to the world population in total, China held a share of about 19 percent of the overall global population in 2010.
In terms of demographic developments, the birth control efforts of the Chinese government, most prominent among them the controversial one-child policy, have facilitated a considerable imbalance of the demographic pyramid in China. Upon closer examination of the age distribution, a clear trend of an aging population becomes visible.
Under the strict birth control regime, the desire of parents to have a male child has resulted in an increased rate of abortions, which in turn has gradually shifted the ratio of male to female population towards males. As of 2012, a ratio of 118 males to 100 females in the age group of 0 to 4 year-olds has been reported.
- Total population of the United States 2014Total population of the United States 2014
Total population in the United States from 2004 to 2014 (in millions)
- Population growth in China 2002-2012Population growth in China 2002-2012
Population growth in China from 2002 to 2012
- Population of the United Kingdom (UK) 2004-2014Population of the United Kingdom (UK) 2004-2014
Total population of the United Kingdom (UK) from 2004 to 2014 (in millions)
- Total population of Syria 2010Total population of Syria 2010
Syria: Total population from 2000 to 2010 (in million inhabitants)
- Population in China in 2012, by regionPopulation in China in 2012, by region
Population in China in 2012, by region (in million inhabitants)
- Scotland: police recorded crime rate 2014, by local authorityScotland: police recorded crime rate 2014, by local authority
- China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region October 2014China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region October 2014
- Consumer confidence in China October 2014Consumer confidence in China October 2014
- Scottish independence: feelings after the referendum October 2014Scottish independence: feelings after the referendum October 2014
- Scotland: forecasted population 2012-2037Scotland: forecasted population 2012-2037
- Scotland: population time series 1993-2013Scotland: population time series 1993-2013