Global fruit production in 2012, by variety (in million metric tons)*
|Production in million metric tons|
|Peaches and nectarines||21.08|
|Lemons and limes||15.12|
|Plums and sloes||10.7|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the world fruit production in 2012 in million metric tons, broken down by variety. In that year, some 2.26 million metric tons of cherries were produced worldwide.
Fruit crops are a major part of agricultural production. Based on production quantities, the most popular fresh fruits worldwide in order are bananas, apples and grapes. Bananas and apples are grown on trees, and grapes are cultivated in wine yards.
For cultivation, the tropical banana plant requires a warm and humid climate and rich, dark and fertile soils. The most common banana types which are grown globally include Cavendish, Lady Fingers, and Plantains. The last variety is also known as cooking banana. Their characteristics include a drier texture and they tend to contain more starch. In many tropical countries Plantains are a staple food.
According to the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), countries with a significant production amount include China, the United States and Turkey. Rated among the most popular apple varieties in the United States are Gala, Red Delicious and Granny Smith.
Fruit and vegetables are seen as a strong part of a healthy and balanced diet. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are created and published every five years by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), recommend increasing fruit and vegetable intake.
- Grain production worldwide by type 2012Grain production worldwide by type 2012
- Top 20 producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide 2012Top 20 producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide 2012
- Production of citrus fruits worldwide by region 2012Production of citrus fruits worldwide by region 2012
- Top producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide based on value 2012Top producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide based on value 2012
- Concentrated orange and grapefruit juice production in Florida 1999-2012Concentrated orange and grapefruit juice production in Florida 1999-2012
- Total U.S. grain supply 2000-2013Total U.S. grain supply 2000-2013
- Total U.S. domestic grain use 2001-2013Total U.S. domestic grain use 2001-2013
- Total U.S. grain exports 2001-2013Total U.S. grain exports 2001-2013
- Fruit - Statista Dossier 2013Fruit - Statista Dossier 2013
- The World of Organic Agriculture 2014The World of Organic Agriculture 2014
- Facts and figures on noncitrus fruits and nuts in the U.S. 2013Facts and figures on noncitrus fruits and nuts in the U.S. 2013
Report included in Corporate Account only
- USDA - Agricultural Statistics 2013USDA - Agricultural Statistics 2013
- USDA - Agricultural Statistics 2012USDA - Agricultural Statistics 2012
- Vegetables - Statista Dossier 2013Vegetables - Statista Dossier 2013
- Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2013
- Total U.S. grain production 2001-2012Total U.S. grain production 2001-2012
- World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2004-2011World fish production - fishing and aquaculture 2004-2011