Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Global fruit production in 2012, by variety (in million metric tons)*
|Production in million metric tons|
|Peaches and nectarines||21.08|
|Lemons and limes||15.12|
|Plums and sloes||10.7|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the world fruit production in 2012 in million metric tons, broken down by variety. In that year, some 2.26 million metric tons of cherries were produced worldwide.
Fruit crops are a major part of agricultural production. Based on production quantities, the most popular fresh fruits worldwide in order are bananas, apples and grapes. Bananas and apples are grown on trees, and grapes are cultivated in wine yards.
For cultivation, the tropical banana plant requires a warm and humid climate and rich, dark and fertile soils. The most common banana types which are grown globally include Cavendish, Lady Fingers, and Plantains. The last variety is also known as cooking banana. Their characteristics include a drier texture and they tend to contain more starch. In many tropical countries Plantains are a staple food.
According to the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), countries with a significant production amount include China, the United States and Turkey. Rated among the most popular apple varieties in the United States are Gala, Red Delicious and Granny Smith.
Fruit and vegetables are seen as a strong part of a healthy and balanced diet. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which are created and published every five years by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), recommend increasing fruit and vegetable intake.
- Grain production worldwide by type 2012Grain production worldwide by type 2012
Worldwide production of grain in 2012, by type (in million metric tons)*
- Top 20 producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide 2012+Top 20 producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide 2012
Top 20 producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide in 2012 (in 1,000 metric tons)*
- Production of citrus fruits worldwide by region 2012+Production of citrus fruits worldwide by region 2012
World production of citrus fruits in 2012, by region (in million metric tons)
- Top producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide based on value 2012+Top producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide based on value 2012
Top 20 producers of selected fresh fruit worldwide in 2012, based on production value (in million U.S. dollars)*
- U.S. fruit juice production 2008-2013U.S. fruit juice production 2008-2013
Fruit juice production in the United States from 2008/2009 to 2012/2013 (in 1,000 metric tons at 65 degrees brix*)
- Apple production worldwide by region 2012Apple production worldwide by region 2012
- Leading Mexican agricultural products based on production value 2012Leading Mexican agricultural products based on production value 2012
- Producer Price Index (PPI) for livestock in China 2014Producer Price Index (PPI) for livestock in China 2014
- World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013
- Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2014Monsanto's seed and genomics segment net sales 2011-2014
- Natural and synthetic rubber - global consumption 1990-2014Natural and synthetic rubber - global consumption 1990-2014