Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Best-selling console games, based on global unit sales (in million units) (as of January 2014)
|Console game||Units sold in millions|
|Super Mario Bros.||40.24|
|Mario Kart Wii||34.29|
|Wii Sports Resort||32.21|
|New Super Mario Bros.||29.36|
|New Super Mario Bros. Wii||27.21|
|Mario Kart DS||22.81|
|Wii Fit Plus||21.42|
|GTA: San Andreas||20.81|
|Super Mario World||20.61|
|Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day||20.06|
|Super Mario Land||18.14|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic ranks the best-selling console games of all time. Wii Sports is the best-selling video game with nearly 82 million units shipped worldwide.
Best-selling console games of all time
Given that the top-selling Wii Sports console game was predominantly sold in a bundle with the hugely successful Wii console from Nintendo, it may come as no surprise that Wii Sports dominates the console game field with roughly 81 million units sold. The second best-selling console game of all time, Super Mario Bros. played on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), first reached the market in 1985, making it one of the oldest, most-loved and most-influential games worldwide. Played originally on the NES 8-bit video game console, Super Mario Bros. games have been developed for almost all of Nintendo’s later gaming consoles. As of March 2013, a Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii console had sold almost 28 million units.
Sales of video games (played on consoles) in the United States were down in 2012 at around 6.790 billion U.S. dollars, though sales of games in other formats (among them mobile apps, digital full games, and social networking games) were up from the year before at around 7.7 million U.S. dollars. In 2012, computer game sales were worst, amounting to around 0.38 billion U.S. dollars in sales. Though computer game sales were worst, household penetration of PCs was higher than that of smartphones and game consoles as of 2012. Nielsen reported that the Nintendo Wii could be found in 38 percent of U.S. households, trailing only PCs (at 93 percent penetration) and some mobile phones. Of other game consoles, only the Microsoft Xbox 360 came close, with a household penetration rate of 26 percent.
- Video games revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2015, by sourceVideo games revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2015, by source
- Global video games revenue 2014-2019Global video games revenue 2014-2019
- Consumer spending on video games per transaction in the UK 2013, by platformConsumer spending on video games per transaction in the UK 2013, by platform
- Global top-selling console games in 2013, by unit salesGlobal top-selling console games in 2013, by unit sales
- Video games with highest production cost as of 2013Video games with highest production cost as of 2013
- Mobile gaming revenue worldwide 2013-2016Mobile gaming revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Mobile game in-app purchase motivators 2014, by deviceMobile game in-app purchase motivators 2014, by device
- Frequency of gaming in the U.S. 2014Frequency of gaming in the U.S. 2014
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Distribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by mediumDistribution of U.S. advertising spending in 2012, by medium