Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Best-selling console games, based on global unit sales (in million units) (as of January 2014)
|Console game||Units sold in millions|
|Super Mario Bros.||40.24|
|Mario Kart Wii||34.29|
|Wii Sports Resort||32.21|
|New Super Mario Bros.||29.36|
|New Super Mario Bros. Wii||27.21|
|Mario Kart DS||22.81|
|Wii Fit Plus||21.42|
|GTA: San Andreas||20.81|
|Super Mario World||20.61|
|Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day||20.06|
|Super Mario Land||18.14|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic ranks the best-selling console games of all time. Wii Sports is the best-selling video game with nearly 82 million units shipped worldwide.
Best-selling console games of all time
Given that the top-selling Wii Sports console game was predominantly sold in a bundle with the hugely successful Wii console from Nintendo, it may come as no surprise that Wii Sports dominates the console game field with roughly 81 million units sold. The second best-selling console game of all time, Super Mario Bros. played on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), first reached the market in 1985, making it one of the oldest, most-loved and most-influential games worldwide. Played originally on the NES 8-bit video game console, Super Mario Bros. games have been developed for almost all of Nintendo’s later gaming consoles. As of March 2013, a Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii console had sold almost 28 million units.
Sales of video games (played on consoles) in the United States were down in 2012 at around 6.790 billion U.S. dollars, though sales of games in other formats (among them mobile apps, digital full games, and social networking games) were up from the year before at around 7.7 million U.S. dollars. In 2012, computer game sales were worst, amounting to around 0.38 billion U.S. dollars in sales. Though computer game sales were worst, household penetration of PCs was higher than that of smartphones and game consoles as of 2012. Nielsen reported that the Nintendo Wii could be found in 38 percent of U.S. households, trailing only PCs (at 93 percent penetration) and some mobile phones. Of other game consoles, only the Microsoft Xbox 360 came close, with a household penetration rate of 26 percent.
- Leading online video games worldwide 2013+Leading online video games worldwide 2013
Leading online video games worldwide in 2013, by revenue (in million U.S. dollars)
- Video games revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2015, by source+Video games revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2015, by source
Video games revenue worldwide from 2012 to 2015, by source (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Global video games revenue 2014-2019Global video games revenue 2014-2019
Global PC and console games revenue in 2014 and 2019 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Types of video games played in the U.S. 2014+Types of video games played in the U.S. 2014
What type of video games do you play?
- Consumer spending on video games per transaction in the UK 2013, by platform+Consumer spending on video games per transaction in the UK 2013, by platform
Game purchases: average amount spent per transaction in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2013, by platform (in GBP)
- Most played PC games 2014Most played PC games 2014
- Most successful movie franchises in North AmericaMost successful movie franchises in North America
- Monthly retail sales of U.S. book stores 2012-2014Monthly retail sales of U.S. book stores 2012-2014
- Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012Reasons for declining magazine readership in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012
- Time spent with media in the U.S. 2013, by age and typeTime spent with media in the U.S. 2013, by age and type
- MMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by typeMMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by type