World reserves of iron ore as of 2013, by country (in million metric tons)*
Please log in if you already have an account.
|Crude ore||Iron content|
Sign Up for Account
Sign Up for Account
This statistic shows the world iron ore reserves as of 2013, by major countries. The reserves of crude iron ore in the United States were estimated to approximately 6.9 billion metric tons at this point.
Iron ore industry
Iron ore are rocks and minerals that can be heated and used to extract metallic iron in an economically feasible method. Both the iron and steel industries worldwide are reliant on iron ore as a primary source of iron. A large majority of mined iron ore is used in steelmaking, used as a raw material to produce pig iron, which is subsequently, utilized as a main component in steel. Iron ore minerals are mostly found as hematite and magnetite.
Australia and Brazil are among the world’s largest iron ore producers and hold a large portion of the world’s iron ore reserves. Brazil and Australia make up over half of the world’s iron ore exports. Brazil exported over 330 million metric tons of iron ore in 2011. As of 2013, Brazil had reserves of 16 billion metric tons of iron content and 31 billion metric tons of crude ore. Brazil produced 398 million metric tons of iron ore in 2013. Four of the world’s largest mines are found in Brazil, such as Vale’s Carajas iron mine in Northern Brazil. Carajas has approximately 7.2 billion metric tons of proven iron ore reserves. The mine produces about 300,000 metric tons of iron ore material daily. Its proximity to the Carajas National Forest has prompted sustainable environmental actions. Vale has implemented a program to restore vegetation in former mining sites as well as a monitoring network to provide data on factors such as air and water quality and noise pollution.
- Revenue of iron ore mining in the U.S., 2008-2013Revenue of iron ore mining in the U.S., 2008-2013
- Iron ore prices monthly 2013-2014Iron ore prices monthly 2013-2014
- Iron ore prices 2003-2013Iron ore prices 2003-2013
- Iron ore mine production by country 2010-2013Iron ore mine production by country 2010-2013
- Production of iron ore China 1960-2012Production of iron ore China 1960-2012
- Revenue of Coal India Limited from 2010-2014Revenue of Coal India Limited from 2010-2014
- China: iron ore mining by month June 2014China: iron ore mining by month June 2014
- World uranium mine production by method 2011-2013World uranium mine production by method 2011-2013
- Gross output of total U.S. mining industry 1998-2011Gross output of total U.S. mining industry 1998-2011
- Pesticide and other agricultural chemical manufacturing shipments 1998-2011Pesticide and other agricultural chemical manufacturing shipments 1998-2011
- Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales 2006-2013Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales 2006-2013