Number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2017 (in billions)
|Number of users in millions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2013 with projections until 2017. In 2014, it is estimated that there will be around 1.82 billion social network users around the globe, up from 1.47 billion in 2012.
Social network usage Social network penetration worldwide is ever-increasing. In 2012, 63.1 percent of internet users were also social network users and these figures are expected to grow. Social networking is one of the most popular online activities with high user engagement rates and expanding mobile possibilities. Overall, US users spent more than 121.8 billion monthly minutes on social media.
The increased worldwide usage of smartphones and mobile devices has opened up the possibilities of mobile social networks with increased features such as location-based services like Fourquare. Most social networks are also available as mobile apps, whereas some networks have been optimized for mobile internet browsing, enabling users to comfortably access visual blogging sites such as Tumblr or Pinterest via tablet.
With over 1.1 billion monthly active users, social network Facebook is currently the market leader in terms of reach and scope. The site has been shaping the social media landscape since its launch and has been an important factor in discussions about users’ privacy and differentiating between the private and the public online self.
Social networks not only enable users to communicate beyond local or social boundaries, but also offer possibilities to share user-generated content like photos and videos and features such as social games. Social advertising and social gaming are two major points of revenue for social networks.
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014
- Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014
- Active mobile social media penetration in Arab countries 2014Active mobile social media penetration in Arab countries 2014
- Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013Japan: online user attitudes towards new technologies 2013
- Most popular product brands on Facebook in July 2014Most popular product brands on Facebook in July 2014
- Facebook's quarterly revenue in Europe as of 2nd quarter 2014, by segmentFacebook's quarterly revenue in Europe as of 2nd quarter 2014, by segment
- Mobile social networks - Statista Dossier 2014Mobile social networks - Statista Dossier 2014
- Social networks - Statista Dossier 2014Social networks - Statista Dossier 2014
- Social Media usage in the United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2014Social Media usage in the United Kingdom - Statista Dossier 2014
- Social media and events - Statista Dossier 2014Social media and events - Statista Dossier 2014
- Brands on Social Media - Statista Dossier 2014Brands on Social Media - Statista Dossier 2014
- Social media marketing in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013Social media marketing in the U.S. - Statista Dossier 2013
- Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014
- Media important for U.S. consumers 2014Media important for U.S. consumers 2014
- Global mobile app and advertising spending 2008-2013Global mobile app and advertising spending 2008-2013