Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2018 (in billions)
|Number of users in billions|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the number of social network users worldwide from 2010 to 2014 with projections until 2018. In 2016, it is estimated that there will be around 2.13 billion social network users around the globe, up from 1.4 billion in 2012.
Social network usage Social network penetration worldwide is ever-increasing. In 2012, 63.1 percent of internet users were also social network users and these figures are expected to grow. Social networking is one of the most popular online activities with high user engagement rates and expanding mobile possibilities. Overall, US users spent more than 121.8 billion monthly minutes on social media.
The increased worldwide usage of smartphones and mobile devices has opened up the possibilities of mobile social networks with increased features such as location-based services like Fourquare. Most social networks are also available as mobile apps, whereas some networks have been optimized for mobile internet browsing, enabling users to comfortably access visual blogging sites such as Tumblr or Pinterest via tablet.
With over 1.1 billion monthly active users, social network Facebook is currently the market leader in terms of reach and scope. The site has been shaping the social media landscape since its launch and has been an important factor in discussions about users’ privacy and differentiating between the private and the public online self.
Social networks not only enable users to communicate beyond local or social boundaries, but also offer possibilities to share user-generated content like photos and videos and features such as social games. Social advertising and social gaming are two major points of revenue for social networks.
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013+Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
Percentage of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks as of December 2013
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
Leading social networks worldwide as of December 2014, ranked by number of active users (in millions)
- Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014+Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014
Unique multi-platform visitors to selected social networks in the United States as of February 2014 (in millions)
- Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014+Monthly active mobile social media users in APAC countries 2014
Number of monthly active mobile social media users in Asia Pacific as of January 2014, by country (in millions)
- Social networks: usage by female U.S. internet users 2013Social networks: usage by female U.S. internet users 2013
Percentage of female internet users in the United States who access selected social networks as of 2013
- Asia Pacific: Facebook penetration 4th quarter 2014Asia Pacific: Facebook penetration 4th quarter 2014
- EMEA: Twitter penetration 4th quarter 2014EMEA: Twitter penetration 4th quarter 2014
- Asia Pacific: Twitter penetration 4th quarter 2014Asia Pacific: Twitter penetration 4th quarter 2014
- Number of daily active Facebook users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014Number of daily active Facebook users worldwide as of 3rd quarter 2014
- MMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by typeMMO games market revenue worldwide 2013-2017, by type
- Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018