Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Forecast for global shipments of tablets, laptops and desktop PCs from 2010 to 2017 (in million units)
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows global shipment figures for tablets, laptops and desktop PCs from 2010 to 2012 and also offers a forecast until 2017. In 2010, around 19 million tablets were shipped worldwide. The source predicts that this figure will increase to 332 million by 2015.
Global shipments of tablets, laptops and desktop PC’s – additional information
A laptop refers to a portable personal computer which is suitable for mobile use, also known as notebook computer. According to the graphic, global shipments of laptops will remain mostly stable until 2017, ranging from 180.9 million units in 2010 to 209 million units in 2017, respectively. A research by Credit Suisse shows that the global revenue generated by laptops is dropping since its peak in 2010. A possible explanation might be the falling average price of notebooks. By 2015, the average selling price of a laptop is forecast to drop by 65 percent compared to 2005.
Meanwhile, the desktop PC segment is projected to lose popularity over the next few years, as the tablet market will gain momentum. Global tablet shipments will hit 406.8 million units by 2017. In 2014, 20.7 percent of the world’s population owned a tablet device, representing a 29 percent growth over the previous year. One factor behind this trend resides in the preference of emerging markets for mobile devices over desktop computers. Consumers in emerging markets typically start out with mobile phones and then directly move to tablets instead of desktop computers, according to an analysis of IDC.
- PCs: global market forecast 2007-2015+PCs: global market forecast 2007-2015
Global market forecast of PCs from 2010 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- PCs: global revenue forecast 2005-2015+PCs: global revenue forecast 2005-2015
Global PC revenue from 2005 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Forecast: connected device sales 2008-2015 worldwide, by category+Forecast: connected device sales 2008-2015 worldwide, by category
Global connected device sales from 2008 to 2015, by device category (in million units)
- Portable PCs: global shipment forecast 2009-2018+Portable PCs: global shipment forecast 2009-2018
Global portable PC shipments from 2009 to 2018 (in million units)
- Mobile PCs: global revenue forecast 2005-2015+Mobile PCs: global revenue forecast 2005-2015
Global revenue from mobile PCs from 2005 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Worldwide PC monitor vendors' market share of unit shipments 2012-2014Worldwide PC monitor vendors' market share of unit shipments 2012-2014
- PC monitor unit shipments worldwide by vendor 2012-2014PC monitor unit shipments worldwide by vendor 2012-2014
- Global smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarterGlobal smartphone OS market share held by RIM 2007-2014, by quarter
- Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018Forecast spending global telecom services 2013-2018
- Total market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segmentTotal market size global BPO and IT services market 2013, by segment
- Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020Value of the global mHealth (mobile health) market 2012-2020