Top 10 mining companies worldwide based on market value in 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
|Market value in billion U.S. dollars|
|BHP Billiton, Australia/UK||173.5|
|Rio Tinto, Australia/UK||104.3|
|Glencore Xstrata, UK||68.4|
|China Shenhua Energy, China||46.5|
|Anglo American, UK||35.5|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the top 10 mining companies worldwide based on market value in 2014. The values are based on the Financial Times Global 500 list. As of March 2014, mining company BHP Billiton reached a market value of almost 174 billion U.S. dollars.
Top mining companies worldwide based on market value
Modern mining includes ore bodies which can harbor metal, coal, gemstone, and potash. Oil and gas extraction remains one of the most economically important sectors within mining operations. The mining industry exists on an important scale worldwide. Large mining companies tend to focus on mining production and operations to generate profit. London houses some of the most prominent mining companies, including BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto Group. Based on market values in 2013, BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, and China Shenhua Energy (China) were some of the top mining companies in the world. Originally headquartered in Australia, BHP Billiton’s revenue has almost tripled between 2004 and 2012, growing from 25 billion to 72 billion U.S. dollars. Their primary focus is on metals and mining operations. Rio Tinto deals primarily with aluminum, iron ore, copper, uranium, coal, and diamonds. China Shenhua Energy is one of the largest government-owned mining corporations in the world. Some of its operations include coal mines, a railway network that is used to transport its coal, and power plants to generate and sell electricity.
Two of the largest gold mining companies are located in Canada. Barrick Gold and Goldcorp are both one of the largest mining companies in the world with a respective market value of 29.4 billion U.S. dollars and 27.3 billion U.S. dollars in 2013. However, gold producers in South Africa, the United States, Australia, and other countries were still surpassing Canada in gold production based on 2012 values. Regulations have been formed in order to harmonize and stabilize the mining sector, especially within mineral-rich countries.
- Global top 10 chemical companies based on market value 2014Global top 10 chemical companies based on market value 2014
- Top 10 oil and gas companies based on market value 2014Top 10 oil and gas companies based on market value 2014
- Top 10 U.S. oil and gas companies based on market value 2014Top 10 U.S. oil and gas companies based on market value 2014
- Oil service and oil equipment providers based on market value 2014Oil service and oil equipment providers based on market value 2014
- Top U.S. oil/gas service and equipment providers based on market value 2013Top U.S. oil/gas service and equipment providers based on market value 2013
- Revenue of Coal India Limited from 2010-2014Revenue of Coal India Limited from 2010-2014
- Aluminum prices 2003-2013Aluminum prices 2003-2013
- OPEC crude oil price change 1960-2014OPEC crude oil price change 1960-2014
- Gross output of total U.S. mining industry 1998-2011Gross output of total U.S. mining industry 1998-2011
- Pesticide and other agricultural chemical manufacturing shipments 1998-2011Pesticide and other agricultural chemical manufacturing shipments 1998-2011
- Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales 2006-2013Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales 2006-2013