This statistic gives information on the number of monthly active subscribers to Spotify's music streaming service. As of January 2016, the music streaming platform had 100 million active users worldwide, up from 75 million reported MAU in June of the previous year. Spotify is a music streaming service that offers digital audio content. Basic audio content can be accessed for free whereas premium user subscriptions enable users to access offline mobile content as well as listen to music without advertising. During the fourth quarter of 2014, the company announced 15 million paying subscribers. Launched in 2008, Spotify originated in Sweden before expanding to European markets and the United States in 2011. Spotify’s U.S. launch was strongly marketed through Facebook, with the audio app profiting from the social listening integration via social media. With currently more than 39 million monthly active users, Spotify is one of Facebook’s most popular applications. The Spotify music app is currently used by 15 percent of smartphone users in the United States, ranking behind competitors Pandora and iHeartRadio. Part of Spotify’s appeal is the user-curated playlist, which can be shared publicly or between friends. More than half of Spotify users aged 20 years or under used Spotify playlists as their primary method of audio streaming while using the service.
Number of global monthly active Spotify users from July 2012 to January 2016 (in millions)
|Monthly active users in millions|
- Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015
- Music streaming revenue worldwide 2010-2015, by typeMusic streaming revenue worldwide 2010-2015, by type
- Subscription music streaming: retail value of sales in the United Kingdom 2009-2015Subscription music streaming: retail value of sales in the United Kingdom 2009-2015
- Music streaming revenue in France 2008-2014Music streaming revenue in France 2008-2014
- Music streaming subscription revenue distribution in France 2014Music streaming subscription revenue distribution in France 2014
- YouTube: most popular brand channels 2015, by subscribersYouTube: most popular brand channels 2015, by subscribers
- YouTube: most subscribed channels 2016YouTube: most subscribed channels 2016
- YouTube: most subscribed gaming channels 2016YouTube: most subscribed gaming channels 2016
- Twitch: most subscribed channels 2016Twitch: most subscribed channels 2016
- Share of time spent with music in Canada 2016, by typeShare of time spent with music in Canada 2016, by type
- Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.Percentage of adults who used computers in the U.S.
- Percentage of adults who used the internet in the U.S. from 2000 to 2010Percentage of adults who used the internet in the U.S. from 2000 to 2010
- Media usage in an online minute 2015Media usage in an online minute 2015