U.S. Coffee Market - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the coffee market in the U.S.
Coffee is one of the most widely consumed beverages worldwide and in the United States. The plant naturally contains caffeine, which can vary sharply. The market is segmented into growers, roasters and retailers. In 2012, Brazil was the world's leading coffee producing country with about 3 million metric tonnes of coffee.
On the retail level, roast and ground coffee still took the largest sales share with 36 percent of retail sales in 2013. Primary ground coffee brands for the at-home coffee segment include Folgers and Maxwell, based on sales. Folgers is owned by J.M. Schmucker and accounted for 852.4 million U.S. dollars in 2012.
Over the past several years, coffee chains have become more and more popular among customers who enjoy their coffee to go. This out-of-home retail market was dominated by the companies Starbucks and Dunkin Brands Inc. with a combined market share of almost 50 percent in 2011.
Recent statistics show that American consumers spent on average 21.32 USD on coffee per week. When deciding where to purchase their beloved coffee, consumers rated the taste of the coffee as a key buying factor.
Photo: sxc.hu / nkzs
|Coffee Market Overview||Values||Statistic|
|Coffee production worldwide||141.62m bags||Details →|
|Average price per pound of Colombian Mild Arabicas||$1.98/lb||Details →|
|Coffee imports to U.S. from Brazil||$1,193.9m||Details →|
|Nescafé’s brand value||$5.3bn||Details →|
|U.S. coffee and snack shops industry total revenue||$28.84bn||Details →|
|Global coffee consumption (in 1,000 bags)||146,100||Details →|
|Ø per capita cups of coffee a day in The Netherlands||2.41 cups||Details →|
|U.S. per capita coffee consumption||7.5lb||Details →|
|Most Americans drink roasted coffee||91.5%||Details →|
|Ø amount spent on coffee per week by working Americans||21.32 US$||Details →|
- Average amount spent on coffee per week by working Americans 2012-2013Average amount spent on coffee per week by working Americans 2012-2013
How much money do you spend on coffee per week?
- Coffee consumption in the U.S. by location 2014Coffee consumption in the U.S. by location 2014
Share of coffee consumption in the United States in 2014, by location
- Consumption of coffee in the U.S. by type of coffee 2004-2011Consumption of coffee in the U.S. by type of coffee 2004-2011
Consumption of coffee in the United States from 2004 to 2011, by type of coffee (in 1,000 bags)
- Global retail coffee market share by company 2013Global retail coffee market share by company 2013
- Key brands' market share of single-cup coffee in the U.S. 2014Key brands' market share of single-cup coffee in the U.S. 2014
- World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013World coffee per capita consumption: top 20 consumer countries 2013
- Forecast: shipment value coffee and tea manufacture US 2008-2020Forecast: shipment value coffee and tea manufacture US 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue tea and coffee processing UK 2008-2020Forecast: revenue tea and coffee processing UK 2008-2020
- Forecast: revenue tea and coffee processing Germany 2009-2020Forecast: revenue tea and coffee processing Germany 2009-2020
- Forecast: revenue furniture manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020Forecast: revenue furniture manufacture - other Germany 2008-2020
- Forecast: total revenue coffee and tea manufacture Canada 2008-2020Forecast: total revenue coffee and tea manufacture Canada 2008-2020