Hybrid Vehicle Sales Are Taking Off
After a relatively slow start, sales of hybrid vehicles in the United States have really taken off. The very first hybrid models were imported to the United States and went on sale during the late 1990s. Japanese firms led the way and still have a dominant grip on the market.
The Honda Insight was the first hybrid automobile to go on sale, though it was quickly joined and overhauled by the Toyota Prius. American firms struggled to compete with mass-produced Japanese hybrids, and the first home-grown examples only appeared in 2004 in the shape of the Ford Escape.
Since then, American vehicles like the Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu have proven successful, but failed to wrestle away Japanese dominance of the hybrid market. In 2002, a total of 22,335 hybrid vehicles were sold in the United States – all imported models. By the end of 2012, the total amount sold had risen steeply to 431,798.
Of these, 114,291 were domestically produced while the majority, 317,507, were imported vehicles. Even though automobile companies in the United States are struggling to keep up with their Japanese competitors, Americans are driving more hybrids today, which is great news for the environment.
- Sales of Toyota Prius in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2014Sales of Toyota Prius in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2014
- Sales of Toyota and Lexus hybrids cars in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014Sales of Toyota and Lexus hybrids cars in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014
- Hybrid car sales by manufacturer in the United States - May 2016Hybrid car sales by manufacturer in the United States - May 2016
- Most valuable automotive brands worldwide by brand value 2016Most valuable automotive brands worldwide by brand value 2016
- Brand value of the most valuable car brands worldwide 2016Brand value of the most valuable car brands worldwide 2016
- YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2016YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2016
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2016The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2016
- Global leading car companies based on worldwide vehicle sales 2015Global leading car companies based on worldwide vehicle sales 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens