Australia - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Australia
With an area of approximately 7.7 million square kilometres, Australia is the sixth –largest country in the world. In comparison to its size, the total population of Australia is rather small in numbers, amounting to only 23 million inhabitants in 2013. Australia’s biggest city is Sydney, followed by Melbourne and Brisbane. Since almost 90 percent of the population live in cities, Australia is among the countries with the highest degree of urbanization. Australia has a high standard of living: In 2012, it ranked second on the Human Development Index, and its life expectancy is one of the highest worldwide with 81.9 years.
Among the biggest economies worldwide, Australia ranks 12th, with a gross domestic product (GDP) of approximately 1.6 trillion U.S. dollars in 2013. Its GDP per capita thus amounted to 69.582 U.S. dollars the same year. Australia’s rate of economic growth amounted to 3.3 percent in 2012, with a forecast of 3 percent for 2013. That year, the unemployment rate was at about 5.2 percent. Australia’s inflation rate is estimated to increase from 2 percent in 2012 to 2.6 percent in 2013.
In 2011, Australia exported goods worth about 270.5 billion U.S. dollars, and imported goods worth approximately 244 billion U.S.dollars. Its most important trade partner for import and export is China.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Australia: Total population||23.24m||Details →|
|Australia: Population growth (compared to previous year)||1.99%||Details →|
|Australia: Median age of the population||37.4yr||Details →|
|Australia: Degree of urbanization||89.33%||Details →|
|Australia: Gross domestic product (GDP) in current prices||$1,638.92bn||Details →|
|Australia: Gross domestic product (GDP) per capita in current prices||$69,582.38||Details →|
|Australia: Unemployment rate||5.21%||Details →|
|Australia: Inflation rate (compared to the previous year)||2.31%||Details →|
|Australia: Trade balance||-$23.52bn||Details →|
- Ethnic groups in AustraliaEthnic groups in Australia
Australia: Ethnic groups
- Most important export partners for Australia 2012Most important export partners for Australia 2012
Australia: Leading export partners in 2012
- Most important import partners for Australia 2012Most important import partners for Australia 2012
Australia: Leading import partners in 2012
- Value and volume of Australian mining and metals deals 2003-2012Value and volume of Australian mining and metals deals 2003-2012
- Out-of-home advertising spending in Australia from 2008 to 2017Out-of-home advertising spending in Australia from 2008 to 2017
- Value of the pay TV market in Australia from 2008 to 2017Value of the pay TV market in Australia from 2008 to 2017