Suicide - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Suicide
Suicide is the act of a person intentionally causing their own death. Suicide is a major public health problem in many countries and is often connected to depression, mental disorders or substance abuse. In the United States, suicide was one of the most frequent causes of death in 2013. Since the 1950s, the death rate from suicide has only slightly decreased, in fact, it increased again after a slight dip in the early Noughties. The major cause of death in the United States is heart disease.
A big gender difference exists in regards to suicide in the United States. According to gender-based suicide statistics by the National Center for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide is much more common among men in the United States. In every age group, the male suicide rate is considerably higher than the female rate and overall almost four times as many men as women die as a result of suicide. Leaving gender aside, the data shows that suicide is a problem across all age groups. The highest suicide rate lies with people between 45 and 64 and is reported to be at more than 18 deaths per 100,000 people in that age group in 2010, again, a slight increase from the previous year. Pre-teenage suicide is fortunately very rare, with only 0.5 cases per 100,000 Americans aged 5 to 14 years.
<br>Photo: Tiberius K., aboutpixel.de
- Death rate from suicide in the U.S. by gender and age 2013Death rate from suicide in the U.S. by gender and age 2013
Deaths per 100,000 resident population by suicide in the U.S. in 2013, by gender and age*
- Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 1950-2013Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 1950-2013
Deaths by suicide per 100,000 resident population in the U.S. from 1950 to 2013*
- Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 2012-2013 by ageDeath rate for suicide in the U.S. 2012-2013 by age
Deaths by suicide per 100,000 residents in the U.S. in 2012 and 2013, by age*
- Number of suicides in selected countries by gender 2011Number of suicides in selected countries by gender 2011
- Suicide rate in selected countries - change between 1995 and 2009Suicide rate in selected countries - change between 1995 and 2009
- Suicide attemtpts in Scotland 2013, by genderSuicide attemtpts in Scotland 2013, by gender
- Forecast: death care service industry revenue U.S. 2009-2018Forecast: death care service industry revenue U.S. 2009-2018