Suicide - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Suicide
Suicide is the act of a person intentionally causing their own death. Suicide is a major public health problem in many countries and is often connected to depression, mental disorders or substance abuse. In the United States in 2007, suicide was the eleventh most frequent cause of death when looking at the whole population. In the age group of people between 15 and 34, it was the third most important cause of death behind unintentional injury and homicide. According to data from the National Center for Health Statistics, there were 34,598 suicides in the U.S. in 2007. The death rate from suicide was 11.3 deaths per 100,000 people in the U.S., compared to only 3.7 from HIV/AIDS. The major cause of death in the United States is heart disease with 190.9 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants.
A big gender difference exists in regards to suicide in the United States. According to gender-based suicide statistics by the National Center for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide is much more common among men in the United States. In every age group, the male suicide rate is considerably higher than the female rate and overall almost four times as many men as women die as a result of suicide. Leaving gender aside, the data shows that suicide is a problem across all age groups. The highest suicide rate lies with people between 45 and 64 and is reported to be 16.8 deaths per 100,000 people in that age group. Pre-teenage suicide is fortunately very rare, with only 0.5 cases per 100,000 Americans aged 5 to 14 years.
<br>Photo: Tiberius K., aboutpixel.de
- Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 1950-2010Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 1950-2010
Deaths by suicide per 100,000 resident population in the U.S. from 1950 to 2010*
- Death rate from suicide in the U.S. by gender and age 2010Death rate from suicide in the U.S. by gender and age 2010
Deaths per 100,000 resident population by suicide in the U.S. in 2010, by gender and age*
- Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 2009-2010 by ageDeath rate for suicide in the U.S. 2009-2010 by age
Deaths by suicide per 100,000 residents in the U.S. in 2009 and 2010, by age*
- Number of suicides in selected countries by gender 2011Number of suicides in selected countries by gender 2011
- Suicide rate in selected countries - change between 1995 and 2009Suicide rate in selected countries - change between 1995 and 2009
- Suicide attemtpts in Scotland (UK) 2013, by genderSuicide attemtpts in Scotland (UK) 2013, by gender
- Forecast: public figure agents and managers revenue U.S. 2009-2018Forecast: public figure agents and managers revenue U.S. 2009-2018