Groupon - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Groupon
Groupon is a daily deal website that enables users to purchase vouchers and coupons at a discounted price. Launched in 2008, the service was first only available in selected cities in the United States and grew to a nationwide and later international business. As of September 2014, Groupon is the most-visited coupon website in the United States with approximately 30 million unique monthly visitors and accounts for 59.1 percent of the U.S. daily deal market.
As of the second quarter of 2014, Groupon had 53.2 million global active customers who had purchased a Groupon deal from the website in the trailing twelve months. The average billing per active customer during that quarter amounted to 137.21 U.S. dollars. According to company figures the majority of gross billings are generated through the company’s local segment that includes deals from local and national merchants as well as local events.
The coupon portal’s annual revenue amounted to 2.57 billion U.S. dollars in 2013 with an annual net loss of 95.39 million U.S. dollars. Despite this, Groupon still remains one of the leading web-only merchants in the United States. The company has also embraced the increasing reach of mobile couponing and with an estimated 545.6 million U.S. dollars in mobile sales, ranks as one of the leading global e-retailers based on mobile sales worldwide. According to current company data, 55 percent of all sales are completed through mobile devices with 91 million people having downloaded the mobile Groupon app.
The company has also been successful in the utilization of social media, converting five percent of all social media site visits into purchases.
|Groupon Company Overview||Values||Statistic|
|Global revenue of Groupon||$2,573.66m||Details →|
|Groupon’s revenue in North America||$1,521.36m||Details →|
|Groupon’s annual net loss||-$95.39m||Details →|
|Operating expenses of Groupon||$1,425.78m||Details →|
|Benchmark & Deal Metrics||Values||Statistic|
|Groupon’s unique monthly US visitors||17.03m||Details →|
|Average price per deal on coupon websites in the U.S.||$76.33||Details →|
|Revenue generated by travel deals offered through Groupon||$282m||Details →|
|Groupon market reach in Poland||12.4%||Details →|
|Number of Groupon subscribers (quarterly)||142.87m|
- Number of active Groupon customers as of 3rd quarter 2014Number of active Groupon customers as of 3rd quarter 2014
Number of Groupon's active customers from 2nd quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in millions)
- Groupon: quarterly revenue as of 3rd quarter 2014Groupon: quarterly revenue as of 3rd quarter 2014
Revenue of Groupon from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Groupon: mobile sales share 2013-2014Groupon: mobile sales share 2013-2014
Percentage of global Groupon sales completed through mobile devices as of September 2014
- Groupon's quarterly operating income/loss as of 3rd quarter 2014Groupon's quarterly operating income/loss as of 3rd quarter 2014
Groupon's operating income/loss from 1st quarter 2009 to 3rd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Groupon: number of mobile app downloads 2013-2014Groupon: number of mobile app downloads 2013-2014
Number of mobile Groupon app downloads worldwide as of September 2014 (in millions)
- Number of digital coupon users in the United States 2012-2016Number of digital coupon users in the United States 2012-2016
- Number of digital coupons redeemed worldwide 2014-2019Number of digital coupons redeemed worldwide 2014-2019
- Share of digital coupons that were used as of May 2014, by deviceShare of digital coupons that were used as of May 2014, by device