PC Growth Choked by the iPad's Arrival
There are many possible reasons for the recent decline of the PC industry. Some blame Windows 8, others blame saturated markets or the weak economy. Considering the fact that the negative trend began in the second quarter of 2010, one other possible reason for the decline of PC sales jumps to mind: the release of the iPad.
Since Apple revived the tablet industry with the release of the first iPad in April 2010, PC shipment growth has gradually died off and ultimately vanished completely. Global PC shipments have now declined for six consecutive quarters, most recently at a rate of 8.6 percent.
Obviously there are several reasons for the recent drop in PC sales, but looking at the chart below makes it hard to argue against the iPad as one of them. Tablets have given consumers another choice when it comes to fulfilling their computing needs. It turns out, for many a full-blown personal computer is no longer the most convenient and cost-effective option.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- PCsPC Shipments Flatten Out After Two Years of Decline
This chart shows the quarterly growth of global PC shipments.
- TabletsThe iPad Still Dominates Tablet Usage
This chart shows the Top 8 tablet brands in North America, based on their share of tablet-based web usage in April 2014.
- E-booksPeople Still Prefer Holding Dusty Old Books
This chart shows the percentage of U.S. Internet users reading hard copy and electronic books.
- PCsEnd of XP Is Bandage for Ailing PC Market
This chart shows global PC shipments by vendor.
- Market share of PC vendors of PC shipments* worldwide from 2011 to 2014, by quarter
PC vendors' market share PC unit shipments worldwide 2011-2014, by quarter
- Share of selected types of computers on all PC sales from 2008 to 2015 in the U.S.
U.S. Forecast - PC sales by computer type
- Penetration rate of PCs in selected countries in 2008
Penetration rate of PCs
- Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016
- Tablet PCs: global market forecast 2010-2015Tablet PCs: global market forecast 2010-2015
- Sales of tablet PCs in the EMEA states in 2011, by manufacturerSales of tablet PCs in the EMEA states in 2011, by manufacturer
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter