PC Growth Choked by the iPad's Arrival
There are many possible reasons for the recent decline of the PC industry. Some blame Windows 8, others blame saturated markets or the weak economy. Considering the fact that the negative trend began in the second quarter of 2010, one other possible reason for the decline of PC sales jumps to mind: the release of the iPad.
Since Apple revived the tablet industry with the release of the first iPad in April 2010, PC shipment growth has gradually died off and ultimately vanished completely. Global PC shipments have now declined for six consecutive quarters, most recently at a rate of 8.6 percent.
Obviously there are several reasons for the recent drop in PC sales, but looking at the chart below makes it hard to argue against the iPad as one of them. Tablets have given consumers another choice when it comes to fulfilling their computing needs. It turns out, for many a full-blown personal computer is no longer the most convenient and cost-effective option.
- Internet usage via tablet PC in Germany 2013-2015Internet usage via tablet PC in Germany 2013-2015
- Tablet PC brand competitiveness index in South Korea 2016Tablet PC brand competitiveness index in South Korea 2016
- Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010 Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010
- IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021IT devices total worldwide spending 2014-2021
- Pfizer's Lipitor revenue worldwide 2003-2016Pfizer's Lipitor revenue worldwide 2003-2016
- Pfizer's Viagra revenue worldwide 2003-2016Pfizer's Viagra revenue worldwide 2003-2016
- Global IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segmentGlobal IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segment
- Global market share held by PC vendors in 2016Global market share held by PC vendors in 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl