China On Path to World Domination in Ecommerce
Emerging markets in Asia-Pacific have fueled China’s business-to-consumer e-commerce markets. In 2014, Chinese consumers are to spend more on online purchases than in the U.S. market. As can be seen in the chart below, China is dominating worldwide e-commerce sales growth by a remarkable 63.8%. India comes in second with a distant 31.5%.
Taobao, a consumer-to-consumer platform, the Chinese search-engine Baidu and the ‘Amazon of China’, Dang Dang count among the world’s largest internet companies and have created an online infrastructure that can no longer be defined as that of a developing country.
According to the study, although the U.S. are still in the top spot as far as overall sales are concerned, China is expected to catch up by 2014.
- Online Shoppinge-Commerce in the United States
This infographic shows key facts about e-commerce and online shopping in the United States.
- Holiday Season E-CommerceCyber Monday 2013 Was the Biggest Online Spending Day Ever
This chart shows daily e-commerce sales during the holiday season. With sales of $1.74 billion, Cyber Monday was the largest online shopping day in history.
- Online Shopping10% of E-Commerce Dollars Are Spent via Mobile Device
This chart shows retail e-commerce sales in the United States and the percentage of sales made through mobile devices.
- Holiday Season E-CommerceMobile Accounts for 16% of Black Friday E-Commerce Sales
This chart shows the mobile percentage of Black Friday e-commerce traffic and e-commerce sales in the United States. Mobile shoppers accounted for 16 percent of e-commerce sales on Black Friday.
- Market volume of mobile e-commerce in China from 2009 to 2015 (in billion yuan)
Market volume of mobile e-commerce in China 2015
- Leading B2C e-commerce retailers in China in 2011, ranked by number of users (in millions)
Leading B2C e-commerce retailers in China in 2011, ranked by number of users
- Transaction volume of the Chinese online shopping market in 2011, by product group
Transaction volume of the Chinese online shopping market in 2011, by product
- Forecast: B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2011-2016Forecast: B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2011-2016
- Global B2C e-commerce sales 2012-2018Global B2C e-commerce sales 2012-2018
- Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter