China On Path to World Domination in Ecommerce
Emerging markets in Asia-Pacific have fueled China’s business-to-consumer e-commerce markets. In 2014, Chinese consumers are to spend more on online purchases than in the U.S. market. As can be seen in the chart below, China is dominating worldwide e-commerce sales growth by a remarkable 63.8%. India comes in second with a distant 31.5%.
Taobao, a consumer-to-consumer platform, the Chinese search-engine Baidu and the ‘Amazon of China’, Dang Dang count among the world’s largest internet companies and have created an online infrastructure that can no longer be defined as that of a developing country.
According to the study, although the U.S. are still in the top spot as far as overall sales are concerned, China is expected to catch up by 2014.
- B2C e-commerce sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2017B2C e-commerce sales in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2017
- Share of B2C e-commerce sales in Finland 2014, by product group and store locationShare of B2C e-commerce sales in Finland 2014, by product group and store location
- Change in B2C e-commerce sales in Finland 2010-2014, by product groupChange in B2C e-commerce sales in Finland 2010-2014, by product group
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015
- U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015U.S. online shops and mail-order house sales 2003-2015
- Total and e-commerce U.S. merchant wholesale trade sales including MSBOs 2002-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. merchant wholesale trade sales including MSBOs 2002-2015
- Total revenue and online revenue of the mail order sector in Germany 2006-2017Total revenue and online revenue of the mail order sector in Germany 2006-2017
- E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2003-2017E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2003-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl