Russia’s Moral Barometer
According to Pew Research, almost three-quarters of the Russian population consider homosexuality morally unacceptable. The Winter Olympics in Sochi has generated significant debate in western countries about the status of gays and lesbians in Russia.
Even though Vladimir Putin has reassured the international community that an anti-homosexual “propaganda” law approved by the Russian parliament last June is not discriminatory, Russia’s attitude towards gays has been severely tarnished.
Extramarital affairs, abortion and alcohol consumption are all considered more acceptable than homosexuality. 69 percent of Russians believe extramarital affairs are unacceptable while 44 percent do not approve of abortion.
Should Society Accept Homosexuality?
This chart illustrates the results of a survey on the social acceptance of homosexuality in different countries.
Why do you oppose same-sex marriage?
Reasons for opposing same-sex marriage in the United States in 2012
Would you get married to your same-sex partner if the law permitted it? (United Kingdom, 2012)
Britons in a same-sex relationship who would marry their partner if permitted, by gender
Do you think that insisting on Civil Partnership and marriage to remain separate worsens attitudes towards gay people?
LGBT people's opinion on the effects of separating marriage and Civil Partnership on attitudes towards gay people
Yes, please send me a daily reminder for the 'Chart of the Day'
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter