Americans Use Electronic Media 11+ Hours A Day
It's no secret that people spend a lot of time with electronic gadgets these days. How much time that actually is, is astonishing nonetheless: according to Nielsen's Total Audience Report, Americans aged 18 and older spend more than 11 hours a day watching TV, listening to the radio or using smartphones and other electronic devices.
Considering that most people are awake 16 to 18 hours a day, 11 hours of electronic media usage seems like a lot, but, to be fair, much of that probably happens while doing other things at the same time. It's a good thing people were given the ability to multitask; otherwise we wouldn't get a whole lot done these days.
Number of TV households in the United States from season 2000-2001 to season 2015-2016 (in millions)
Number of TV households in the U.S. 2000-2016
Weekly radio reach in the United States from 2009 to 2013 (in millions of persons reached)
Weekly radio reach in the U.S. from 2009 to 2013
Cities with the highest and lowest daily newspaper readership in the United States in 2012
Cities with the highest and lowest daily newspaper readership in the U.S. in 2012
- Number of TV households in the U.S. 2000-2016Number of TV households in the U.S. 2000-2016
- Frequency of reading daily newspapers in the U.S. 2004-2012Frequency of reading daily newspapers in the U.S. 2004-2012
- Weekly radio reach in the U.S. from 2009 to 2013Weekly radio reach in the U.S. from 2009 to 2013
- Share of U.S. adult population reached by different media in 2012Share of U.S. adult population reached by different media in 2012
- Daily TV consumption in the U.S. in 2012, by age and genderDaily TV consumption in the U.S. in 2012, by age and gender
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens