Amazon Pleases Wall Street With Improved Margins
Amazon reported fourth quarter earnings and revenue that were below Wall Street's expectations. The e-commerce giant posted record sales of $21.3 billion, missing analyst expectations by $1 billion.
At $97 million, net income came in short of expectations as well, as Amazon's focus on long-term growth continues to hurt its short-term results. The company is heavily investing in its digital services and sells its Kindle devices at cost to get customers locked into Amazon's digital content ecosystem.
Amazon's gross margin increased to 24 percent in the fourth quarter. A fact that was very well-received by analysts and shareholders, as higher margins suggest that Amazon's current growth strategy will likely pay off in the future. As a result, Amazon's stock price soared to an all-time high after the earnings release, despite missing targets on revenue and profit.
- iPadApple's iPad Business Continues to Slump
This chart shows Apple's quarterly iPad and iPhone sales since the iPad's release in 2010.
- GoogleGoogle Ads Are Getting Cheaper
This chart shows the year-over-year change of the average cost per click on Google ads.
- United StatesThe Richest Families in America
This chart shows the top 10 wealthiest families in the United States in 2014.
- Music IndustryStreaming Boom Stifles Music Downloads
This chart illustrates how streaming continues to grow, while things go downhill for basically every other way music distribution (except for good old vinyl).
- App DevelopersBritain's App Industry Is Ready for Takeoff
This chart shows the UK App Economy revenue forecast 2013-2025
- Amazon's net income from 1st quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Amazon's net income as of 1st quarter 2014
- Amazon's quarterly revenue from 1st quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Amazon's B2C e-commerce revenue as of 1st quarter 2014
- Net income of Amazon.com from 2004 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Amazon: annual net income 2004-2013
- Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter