Amazon Pleases Wall Street With Improved Margins
Amazon reported fourth quarter earnings and revenue that were below Wall Street's expectations. The e-commerce giant posted record sales of $21.3 billion, missing analyst expectations by $1 billion.
At $97 million, net income came in short of expectations as well, as Amazon's focus on long-term growth continues to hurt its short-term results. The company is heavily investing in its digital services and sells its Kindle devices at cost to get customers locked into Amazon's digital content ecosystem.
Amazon's gross margin increased to 24 percent in the fourth quarter. A fact that was very well-received by analysts and shareholders, as higher margins suggest that Amazon's current growth strategy will likely pay off in the future. As a result, Amazon's stock price soared to an all-time high after the earnings release, despite missing targets on revenue and profit.
- Internet Usage in ChinaTencent's Impressive Line Of Messaging + Social Platforms
This chart shows the growth of Tencent's instant messaging and social media platforms.
- NetflixNetflix Challenges TV Networks at the 2014 Emmys
This chart shows the 12 networks with the most nominations at the 2014 Emmy Awards.
- Online Gaming IndustryBig Trouble in Little FarmVille
This chart shows Zynga's revenue from the first quarter of 2009 through the second quarter of 2014.
- NetflixNetflix Beats HBO in Subscription Revenue
This chart compares the subscription revenue of pay-TV provider HBO to Netflix's streaming subscription revenue.
- LinkedInLinkedIn's Impressive Revenue Growth
This chart shows LinkedIn's revenue growth since Q1 2009.
- Amazon's quarterly revenue from 1st quarter 2007 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Amazon's B2C e-commerce revenue as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Amazon's net income from 1st quarter 2009 to 2nd quarter 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
Amazon's net income as of 2nd quarter 2014
- Net income of Amazon.com from 2004 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
Amazon: annual net income 2004-2013
- Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010Maritim Hotel Group revenue 2010
- Market Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of surveyMarket Research: Global distribution of revenues by method of survey
- Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009Limited-service hotel chains: average revenue per available room 2009
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter