Strategies people use to be less visible online
On a lot of websites, using free email or other services comes at another price: long before the revelations of Edward Snowden about the NSA, Google, Facebook & Co. have been tracking and storing user data.
A study by the Pew Research Center has inquired about the strategies people use to decrease their visibility online. As can be seen in the chart below, 64% of adult internet users cleared their cookies and browser history to mask their online identity.
14% of users take more drastic measures and encypt their communications or use services that allow for anonymous browsing.
U.S. Authorities Are Hungry for Google's User Data
This chart shows the number of user data requests by law enforcement agencies that Google received between June 2009 and December 2012.
Number of worldwide internet users from 2000 to 2013 (in millions)
Global number of worldwide internet users 2000-2013
Number of internet users in selected countries as of May 2013 (in millions)
Number of internet users worldwide in May 2013, by country
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide as of May 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
Market value of the largest internet companies worldwide in 2013
Yes, please send me a daily reminder for the 'Chart of the Day'
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter