Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Reported violent crime rate in the United States from 1990 to 2012
|Reported violent crime rate per 100,000 population|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph shows the reported violent crime rate in the U.S. since 1990. In 1990, the nationwide rate was 729.6 cases per 100,000 of the population.
Reported violent crime rate in the United States
The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation tracks the rate of reported violent crimes per 100,000 U.S. inhabitants. In the timeline above, rates are shown starting in 1990. The rate of reported violent crime has fallen since a high of 758.20 reported crimes in 1991 to a low of 386.30 reported violent crimes in 2011. According to the FBI, in 2011 the reported violent crime rate was highest in the District of Columbia, at 1,202.10, followed by Tennessee (608.20 crimes), Alaska (606.50 crimes) and South Carolina (571.90 crimes).
In 2011 there were roughly 1.2 million violent crimes committed in the United States. This number can be compared to the total number of property crimes, roughly nine billion that year. Of violent crimes in 2011, there were roughly 750 thousand aggravated assaults, 350 thousand robberies, 83 thousand forcible rapes and 15 thousand murders and non-negligent manslaughters.
Though the violent crime rate was down in 2011, the number of law enforcement officers also fell. Between 2004 and 2009, the number of law enforcement officers in the United States rose from around 430,000 to 450,000. But in 2010 and 2011 the number of officers fell to 440,000 officers in 2011. That year, the crime clearance rate was highest for murders and non-negligent manslaughters, with around 65 percent of murders being solved by investigators and a suspect being charged with the crime. Roughly 57 percent of aggravated assaults were cleared in 2011. A dossier of statistics on violent crime in the U.S. can be found here.
- U.S.: number of reported violent crime 1990 to 2012U.S.: number of reported violent crime 1990 to 2012
- Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. by state 2012Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. by state 2012
- Emotional effect of violent crime in England and Wales from 2012/2013Emotional effect of violent crime in England and Wales from 2012/2013
- Violent crime victims in England and Wales (UK) in 2012/2013, by age groupViolent crime victims in England and Wales (UK) in 2012/2013, by age group
- Violent crime in England and Wales 2001-2013, by offender's relation to the victimViolent crime in England and Wales 2001-2013, by offender's relation to the victim
- Detroit metro area - GDP 2001-2013Detroit metro area - GDP 2001-2013
- USA - Infant mortality rate 1990-2012USA - Infant mortality rate 1990-2012
- U.S. worker earnings - female to male ratio from 1990 to 2013U.S. worker earnings - female to male ratio from 1990 to 2013
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013