Total violent crime reported in the United States from 1990 to 2012
|Reported violent crimes|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This graph shows the reported violent crime in the United States from 1990 to 2012. In 1990, an estimated 1,820,127 violent crimes occurred nationwide.
Violent crime in the United States
The Federal Bureau of Investigation reported that violent crime fell nationwide in the period from 1990 to 2011. Violent crime was at a height of 1.93 million crimes in 1992, but has since reached a low of 1.20 million violent crimes in 2011. When conducting crime reporting, the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program considered murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault to be violent crimes, because they are offenses which involve force or threat of violence.
In 2011, there were 14,612 reported murder and nonnegligent manslaughter cases in the United States. California, with 1,790 murders in 2011, ranked first on a list of U.S. states by number of murders, followed by Texas (1,089 murders), and New York (774 murders).
The greatest number of murders were committed by murderers of unknown relationship to their victim. “Wife” was the fourth most common relationship of victim to offender in 2011, with a reported 552 husbands murdering their wives that year. Fifth most common was “girlfriend.” Ten people were murdered by their employees. Fourteen people were murdered by their employers.
The most used murder weapon in 2011 was the handgun, which was used in 6,220 murders that year. According to the FBI, firearms (of all types) were used in 67.7 percent of the nation’s murders. A firearm was used in 41.3 percent of robberies in the US in 2011. That year firearms were also used in 21.2 percent of aggravated assaults in the U.S. The total number of firearms manufactured in the U.S. in 2011 reached 6,541,886 units.
- Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. by state 2012Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. by state 2012
- Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. 1990-2012Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. 1990-2012
- Emotional effect of violent crime in England and Wales from 2012/2013Emotional effect of violent crime in England and Wales from 2012/2013
- Violent crime victims in England and Wales (UK) in 2012/2013, by age groupViolent crime victims in England and Wales (UK) in 2012/2013, by age group
- Violent crime in England and Wales 2001-2013, by offender's relation to the victimViolent crime in England and Wales 2001-2013, by offender's relation to the victim
- Murders - countries with most murder cases 2012Murders - countries with most murder cases 2012
- UK crime: police recorded homicide offences in England and Wales 2002/03-2013/14UK crime: police recorded homicide offences in England and Wales 2002/03-2013/14
- UK crime: Racial or religious harassment in England and Wales 2008-2014UK crime: Racial or religious harassment in England and Wales 2008-2014
- Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014Satisfaction with gun policy in the US 2014
- Monthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family typeMonthly family expenditure in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2013, by family type
- Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013Population of the U.S. by ethnicity 2000-2013