Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Gross output of total U.S. mining industry from 1998 to 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)*
|Gross output in million U.S. dollars|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic shows the gross output of the U.S. mining industry from 1998 to 2013. In 1998, the gross output of this industry came to around 149 billion U.S. dollars.
U.S. mining industry
The mining industry in the United States is a huge sector – especially when oil and gas extraction is included. In 2013, the industry generated a gross output of more than 600 billion U.S. dollars. Back in 2000, this figure stood at just 216 billion. The value added through this industry was nearly 450 billion U.S. dollars in 2013, while this figure was around 140 billion ten years earlier. Employment in this industry has steadily been increasing over time. In 2001, employment stood at 540 thousand, a decade later this figure had increased to over 700 thousand.
The leading U.S. metal and mineral mining companies are Alcoa from Pittsburgh, Nucor from Charlotte, Freeport-McMoRan from Phoenix, and Newmont Mining from Denver. Alcoa is a major player in the aluminum business, covering all segments of production from mining to recycling. In 2013, this company generated some 23 billion U.S. dollars in revenue.
However, U.S. companies are not among the top five mining companies worldwide. The most predominant company worldwide is British-Swiss corporation Glencore International, which is active in every segment of the commodity business. In total, Glencore made approximately 240 billion U.S. dollars worth of revenue in 2013. Although, a large part of this amount was not made from businesses connected with mining. Globally, the top 40 mining companies made more than 500 billion U.S. dollars of revenue together.
- Gross output of support activities for mining 1998-2012Gross output of support activities for mining 1998-2012
- U.S. coal mining gross output 1998-2012U.S. coal mining gross output 1998-2012
- Flat glass product manufacturing gross output 1998-2012Flat glass product manufacturing gross output 1998-2012
- Gross output of chemical manufacturing 1998-2012Gross output of chemical manufacturing 1998-2012
- U.S. tire manufacturing gross output 1998-2012U.S. tire manufacturing gross output 1998-2012
- Development of global gold stocks 2013Development of global gold stocks 2013
- Copper production - share of leading mining companies 2013Copper production - share of leading mining companies 2013
- Leading copper producers worldwide by output 2013Leading copper producers worldwide by output 2013
- Pesticide and other agricultural chemical manufacturing shipments 1998-2011Pesticide and other agricultural chemical manufacturing shipments 1998-2011
- Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales 2006-2013Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales 2006-2013
- Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales by major market 2010-2013Total U.S. thermoplastic resin sales by major market 2010-2013