Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Market share of private label brands worldwide in 2013, by selected country
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
This statistic depicts the market share of private label brands worldwide in 2013, broken down by selected country. In that year, Germany's private label market share amounted to 42 percent. Switzerland topped the list with a share of more than 50 percent of total retail sales.
Private labels are brands which are not owned by a manufacturer or producer, but by a retailer or supplier. This retailer or supplier asks a contract manufacturer to produce goods for him under his own label. Additional terms used include store brands or private brands.
Traditionally, private labels entered the market as a low-cost alternative to national brands. Today, they are part of active retail marketing in order to position their products ideally on the market and not to be exclusively dependent on suppliers of national brands. Retailers may benefit from the many advantages of private labels, especially from the fact that they have more control over product and service pricing. In addition, they may offer their goods at a lower price as retailers do not have such high marketing and advertising expenditures as their brand counterparts.
Nowadays, private labels are present among a wide range of industries and are gaining more and more market penetration, especially in Europe, where private label share is approaching almost 50 percent in some markets. In the U.S., the private label market remains quite fragmented. Food categories with a large private label share include milk, sugar and sugar substitutes and fresh eggs.
- Market share of leading soft drink companies in the U.S. 2004-2013+Market share of leading soft drink companies in the U.S. 2004-2013
Market share of leading carbonated soft drink companies in the United States from 2004 to 2013
- Constellation Brands' beer market share in the U.S. based on shipment value 2012-2013+Constellation Brands' beer market share in the U.S. based on shipment value 2012-2013
Beer market share of Constellation Brands in the United States in 2012 and 2013, based on shipment value*
- Johnson & Johnson's market share of the global OTC and nutritionals marketJohnson & Johnson's market share of the global OTC and nutritionals market
Johnson & Johnson's market share of the over-the-counter and nutritionals market worldwide from 2013 to 2021*
- Forecast of Nike's global market share in athletic footwear 2011-2020+Forecast of Nike's global market share in athletic footwear 2011-2020
Forecast of Nike's global market share in athletic footwear from 2011 to 2020
- Market share of the leading global candy brands based on sales 2011-2012+Market share of the leading global candy brands based on sales 2011-2012
Market share of the leading candy brands worldwide in 2011 and 2012, based on sales
- Consumer expenditure on photographic equipment in the U.S. 1999-2012Consumer expenditure on photographic equipment in the U.S. 1999-2012
- Consumer confidence in China October 2014Consumer confidence in China October 2014
- China: trade revenue of consumer goods by month October 2014China: trade revenue of consumer goods by month October 2014
- Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2013Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2013
- Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013Cosmetics: Retail sales value percentage change in Great Britain 2004-2013
- Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013