Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
Most popular Apple App Store categories in September 2014, by share of available apps
|Share of active apps|
|Health and Fitness||2.74%|
|Photo and Video||2.55%|
|Food and Drink||2.18%|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic shows the most popular categories in the Apple App Store ranked share of active apps. In September 2014, education apps were the second-most popular category, with a share of 10.36 percent of all apps being learning apps. As of summer 2014, more than 75 billion apps were downloaded from the App Store.
Mobile apps Mobile apps are software applications designed to run on mobile devices such as smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices such as the iPod touch or wearable technology. Apps are commonly sold through either native or third-party mobile software distribution platforms, so-called app stores. The Apple App Store for the iPhone was the first of its kind, launching in July 2008 with 500 available apps.
The App Store is based on consumer usage of Apple’s iPhone and iPod touch. It focuses on mobile device usage and shifting mobile entertainment, social interaction and information away from the traditional desktop environment. Mobile gaming apps account for the majority of apps available in the Apple App Store. Gaming on mobile devices is popular throughout many demographics and the nature of mobile apps facilitates free-to-play and freemium models of monetization. Educational, entertainment and lifestyle apps also benefit from mobile availability, as they can offer users compact pieces of information. Furthermore, business apps profit from the smartphone’s ubiquity in almost all professional areas and thus are used to facilitate transactions or the exchange of information.
- Number of available apps in the Apple App Store as of September 2014Number of available apps in the Apple App Store as of September 2014
- Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014Apple App Store: number of downloads as of June 2014
- Apple App Store: global category revenue share per business model 2014Apple App Store: global category revenue share per business model 2014
- Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2014
- Revenue distribution between the Apple App Store and Google Play as of November 2013Revenue distribution between the Apple App Store and Google Play as of November 2013
- Active social media penetration in Asian countries 2014Active social media penetration in Asian countries 2014
- Google's market share monthly in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2014Google's market share monthly in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2014
- LINE app: number of registered users as of October 2014LINE app: number of registered users as of October 2014
- Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018
- Selected companies recently acquired by Alibaba Group China 2014, by value of stakeSelected companies recently acquired by Alibaba Group China 2014, by value of stake
- Digital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2014, by categoryDigital games industry revenue in the U.S. 2014, by category