Mobile App Monetization - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Mobile App Monetization
Mobile apps are software applications designed to run on smartphones, tablet computers and other mobile devices. They are typically available through native distribution platforms, so-called app stores which are operated by the owners of the mobile operating system. Some of the most popular operating system-native stores are Apple's App Store, Google Play, as well as Windows Phone Store and BlackBerry App World.
Whereas most apps are free, some are available as paid downloads. Monetization of free-to-download mobile apps through in-app commerce or advertising is becoming more and more prevalent among app developers.
For paid mobile apps, a share of the revenue goes to the distributor and the rest to the app developer. App revenue and monetization potential can vary by geographical region and by operating system.
Whereas mobile apps were originally offered as productivity and information retrieval tools such as calendars, e-mail, stock market and weather information, the market has rapidly expanded due to public demand and availability of developer tools. Currently, some of the most popular app categories include games, entertainment and education.
The expansion of the app market has furthermore assisted in the rise of social gaming, highlighted by the launch of the Facebook App Center. The social network's app center heavily features social gaming apps by developing companies such as Zynga, Rovio Entertainment, wooga and EA Games.
Picture: Apple App Store
|Projected number of app downloads by 2017||268,692m||Details →|
|Forecasted number of paid mobile app downloads by 2017||14.78bn||Details →|
|Worldwide mobile app revenues||$34.99bn||Details →|
|Total worldwide in-app purchase revenue||$7,856m||Details →|
|App Store Metrics||Values||Statistic|
|Games category's share of total active apps||22.21%||Details →|
|Number of available games in iTunes App Store||396.09||Details →|
|Monetization & Business Models||Values||Statistic|
|In-game mobile gaming revenue in the U.S.||$1.51 bn||Details →|
|Share of paid Android apps||31.2%||Details →|
|Share of free Apple apps with in-app purchases||92%||Details →|
- Mobile shopping activities in the United States 2012+Mobile shopping activities in the United States 2012
U.S. smartphone usage for shopping-related activities during 1st quarter 2012
- Paid mobile apps: number of downloads worldwide 2011-2017Paid mobile apps: number of downloads worldwide 2011-2017
Number of paid mobile app downloads worldwide from 2011 to 2017 (in billions)
- Distribution of free and paid Android apps 2009-2015+Distribution of free and paid Android apps 2009-2015
Distribution of free and paid Android apps in the Google Play Store from 2009 to 2015
- Forecast: number of mobile app downloads 2009-2017+Forecast: number of mobile app downloads 2009-2017
Number of mobile app downloads worldwide from 2009 to 2017 (in millions)
- Share of paid app revenues worldwide 2011-2017Share of paid app revenues worldwide 2011-2017
Percentage of paid app revenues worldwide from 2011 to 2017
- Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015+Number of apps available in leading app stores 2015
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of July 2015
- Leading shopping apps in the U.S. in June 2012, based on user engagement+Leading shopping apps in the U.S. in June 2012, based on user engagement
Most popular smartphone shopping apps in the U.S. in June 2012, based on user engagement (in minutes)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver