Get a free account in less than 60 seconds. ?
U.S. retail e-commerce sales from 2010 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
|Revenue in billion U.S. dollars|
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
Sign Up for Free Basic Account
The statistic gives information on the retail e-commerce revenue in the United States from 2010 to 2012 with forecast until 2017. In 2012, U.S. retail e-commerce sales amounted to 225.5 billion U.S. dollars and are projected to grow to 434.2 billion U.S. dollars in 2017.
Devices used for online shopping – additional information
Forecasts have suggested that U.S. retail e-commerce will continue to grow until 2018. The worldwide expansion of the internet alongside the evolution and availability of computer, mobile and tablet devices will no doubt contribute to this growth.
The time spent on U.S. retail sites was measured in July 2013 and July 2014 by the type of platform used. In July 2013, 43 percent of online retail minutes were generated via PC, however for the same month a year later, this share had dropped to 30 percent of online retail minutes as the shares of smartphone and tablet increased.
Results for online shopping device usage worldwide indicate the preferences for each region. For the first quarter of 2014, the global average revealed that 80 percent of respondents who intended to shop or buy a product online in the next six months said they would do so via a computer. In comparison, the global averages for other devices indicated that 44 percent of respondents would shop via a mobile device and 31 percent via a tablet. The share of online shoppers who would use a mobile device was highest in the Middle East and Africa with 55 percent and lowest in North America with 27 percent.
When it comes to the year-on-year growth of e-commerce sales in the U.S. by platforms used as of the second quarter in 2014, tablet devices dominated with a 75 percent sales growth compared to the previous year. In comparison e-commerce sales on the traditional desktop only grew by 10 percent year-on-year.
- Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013Annual B2C e-commerce sales in the United States 2002-2013
- Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 2nd quarter 2014Monthly unique visitors to U.S. retail websites in 2nd quarter 2014
- Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2000-2013
- E-commerce revenue share of leading e-retailers worldwide 2012E-commerce revenue share of leading e-retailers worldwide 2012
- Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2014Online retail spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 2011-2014
- Paypal's total active registered user accounts as of 3rd quarter 2014Paypal's total active registered user accounts as of 3rd quarter 2014
- Paypal's net number of payments per quarter as of 3rd quarter 2014Paypal's net number of payments per quarter as of 3rd quarter 2014
- Paypal's net revenue as of 3rd quarter 2014Paypal's net revenue as of 3rd quarter 2014
- Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018Worldwide mobile retail commerce revenue 2012-2018
- B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP worldwide 2009-2018B2C e-commerce as percentage of GDP worldwide 2009-2018
- Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014Biggest internet companies worldwide as of June 2014