Social Networks in China - Statistics & Facts
Facts and statistics about Social Networks in China
China is the world’s largest social media market. In 2011, active users on blogging platforms, social-networking sites, and microblogs reached a staggering 260 million, a recorded increase of more than 28 percent on the previous year. In 2011, around 50 percent of all Chinese who accessed the internet, or 19 percent of the total population, were users of social networking sites. How people in China access social media is also changing, with 60 percent of all social media activities taking place via mobile devices.
With 560 million registered users, Qzone was the largest social networking site in China in 2011. Tencent weibo and Sina weibo, Chinese equivalents of Twitter, had around 300 million users and were the second and third largest social media sites in China respectively.
Around 70 percent of social network users who in China were aged below 30, they accessed social media sites at least once a week, as of 2011. The main reasons given for accessing social media were: keeping in touch with friends, followed by playing games, uploading photos and videos, as well as posting and tracking comments.
More information on social networks can be found here.
Overview of the most important facts:
- Number of social network users in China from 2009 to 2014
- Leading social media websites by number of registered users in China in 2012
- Number of users of social networks for professionals in China in 2012
- Ranking of the most valuable social media brands in China as of 2012
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Leading Social Networks||Values||Statistic|
|Registered users of Qzone in China||560m||Details →|
|Estimated brand value of Sina Weibo||$3.99bn||Details →|
|Number of microblog users in China||280.78m||Details →|
|Share of Chinese internet users who write or follow microblogs||88.81%||Details →|
- User penetration rate of social networks in China 2014User penetration rate of social networks in China 2014
User penetration rate of social networks in China from 2009 to 2014
- User numbers of social networks in China 2010-2014User numbers of social networks in China 2010-2014
Number of social network users in China in December 2010 to June 2014 (in millions)
- Leading social bookmarking sites in China 2012Leading social bookmarking sites in China 2012
Leading social bookmarking sites in China in 2012
- Identity status of social network users in China, 2012Identity status of social network users in China, 2012
Identity status of microblog, social network and LBS users in China in 2012
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
- Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014Social media platforms used by marketers worldwide 2014
- Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014