U.S. Digital Advertising Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Digital Advertising Industry in the U.S.
With the penetration of the internet and increasing popularity of digital platforms, digital advertising has grown to become one of the most important forms of advertising. Digital advertising revenue worldwide is forecast to increase at a fast pace in the coming years. More than 143 billion U.S. dollars were spent on digital advertising in 2014. By 2020, this figure is projected to add up to nearly 268 billion U.S. dollars.
The United States is the largest digital advertising market in the world, as the country had the highest revenue in the digital advertising market in 2015 – an estimate of 64 billion U.S. dollars. About a quarter of all ad expenditures in the country were devoted to digital advertising. Digital advertising spending in the U.S. is projected to grow in the next few years, as sources expect the total spending on digital advertising to reach nearly 94 billion U.S. dollars by 2019. In terms of industries, the retail industry invests the most on digital advertising in the country. As of 2015, this particular industry accounted for 22 percent of all digital advertising spending in the U.S. The automotive and the financial services industry held about 12 percent of the share each.
Search advertising is the most profitable and most promising digital ad format in the U.S., accounting for the majority of the digital advertising revenue generated in the country. Considering search advertising is one of the major revenue streams for digital advertisers, it is no surprise Google, the leading search engine in the world, has by far the highest net digital advertising revenue amongst online companies in the U.S., with healthy growth projections for the future. While Google generated about 67 billion U.S. dollars in revenue through its digital advertising channels, Facebook’s digital revenue stood at 17 billion U.S. dollars. Facebook leads the display advertising market though, leaving Google and Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba behind. In the U.S., Facebook generated about five billion U.S. dollars from digital display in 2014; this figure is projected to double by 2017.
The use of mobile for advertising is also a growing trend in the country, as mobile is forecast to become the main device for digital advertisers by 2017. Full-screen interactive ad formats on smartphones had the highest recall rate in the country; 58 percent of American internet users remember those ads. When this type of ad was encountered on a desktop device, for instance, only 38 percent of internet users stated remembering the ad. Brand advertising recall rate for full-screen interactive ads displayed on tablet and smartphone is also high in comparison to other formats. Another advantage of using mobile ads is the low percentage of ad blocking software use on mobile devices amongst American internet users. Whereas 41 percent of internet users in the U.S. use ad blocking software on their laptop or desktop computer, only 11 percent used on their mobile devices.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Advertising revenue of Google sites||$45.09bn||Details →|
|Facebook's advertising revenue worldwide||$17.08bn||Details →|
|Microsoft's online advertising revenue||$3.2bn||Details →|
|Annual advertising revenue of AOL||$1,613.4m||Details →|
- Consumer trust in different types of advertising in North America 2011-2015Consumer trust in different types of advertising in North America 2011-2015
To what extent do you trust the following forms of advertising/recommendation?
- Digital advertising spending in the U.S. 2008-2015+Digital advertising spending in the U.S. 2008-2015
Digital advertising expenditure in the United States from 2008 to 2015 (in million U.S. dollars)
- U.S. digital ad spend share 2015, by industry+U.S. digital ad spend share 2015, by industry
Distribution of digital advertising spending in the United States in 2015, by industry
- Digital ad recall by U.S. internet users 2015, by format and device+Digital ad recall by U.S. internet users 2015, by format and device
Digital advertising recall among internet users in the United States as of July 2015, by ad format and device
- U.S. net digital ad revenue 2014-2017, by company+U.S. net digital ad revenue 2014-2017, by company
Net digital advertising revenue of selected online companies in the United States from 2014 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Global Google advertising revenues 2014-2018Global Google advertising revenues 2014-2018
Worldwide net advertising revenues of Google from 2014 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Value of the global entertainment and media market 2011-2020Value of the global entertainment and media market 2011-2020
- Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015Google: global annual revenue 2002-2015
- Advertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2016, by mediaAdvertising spending in the United Kingdom (UK) 1999-2016, by media