U.S. Online Advertising Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Online Advertising Industry in the U.S.
The United States is by far the largest online advertising market in the world, with internet ad spending surpassing 39.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2012. Ranking second is Japan with 9.6 billion - amounting to less than a quarter of U.S. expenditure. With an increase from 5.1 percent in 2004 to 9.2 percent in 2011, the internet’s share of American advertising spending has been rising steadily, mostly at the expense of local newspapers, which lost more than seven percent in the same time period.
Among all industries, the retail sector invests most in advertising, taking 22 percent of the total 2011 U.S. ad spend. However, in the ranking of companies with largest ad investment in the U.S., retailers bring up the rear. Topping the list are InterActivCorp - an internet company running such portals as about.com, dictionary.com or vimeo.com, Experian - an information services group and General Motors.
Google is indisputably the market leader in the ad selling business, taking 41.3 percent of the U.S. market in 2012 and expanding its hold of the market by over one percent annually over the next couple of years. Among the remaining market leaders, Facebook and Microsoft are expected grow as well, whereas AOL's and Yahoo!'s shares and ad revenues are expected to contract.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Advertising revenue of Google sites||$45.09bn||Details →|
|Facebook's advertising revenue worldwide||$17.23bn||Details →|
|Microsoft's online advertising revenue||$3.2bn||Details →|
|Annual advertising revenue of AOL||$1,613.4m||Details →|
- Advertising expenditure in the U.S. from 2006 to 2013, by medium+Advertising expenditure in the U.S. from 2006 to 2013, by medium
Distribution of advertising expenditure in the United States from 2006 to 2013, by medium
- Leading internet display advertisers in the U.S. 2014+Leading internet display advertisers in the U.S. 2014
Measured advertising spending of leading internet display advertisers in the United States in 2014 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Global online advertising spending in 2011, by country+Global online advertising spending in 2011, by country
Global online advertising spending in 2011, by country (in million U.S. dollars)
- Digital ad market share of ad-selling companies in the U.S. 2012-2017, by revenue+Digital ad market share of ad-selling companies in the U.S. 2012-2017, by revenue
Net digital ad market share of major ad-selling companies in the United States from 2012 to 2017, by revenue
- Digital ad spend in the U.S. 2012-2018Digital ad spend in the U.S. 2012-2018
Digital advertising spending in the United States from 2012 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver