U.S. Online Advertising Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on the Online Advertising Industry in the U.S.
The United States is by far the largest online advertising market in the world, with internet ad spending surpassing 39.5 billion U.S. dollars in 2012. Ranking second is Japan with 9.6 billion - amounting to less than a quarter of U.S. expenditure. With an increase from 5.1 percent in 2004 to 9.2 percent in 2011, the internet’s share of American advertising spending has been rising steadily, mostly at the expense of local newspapers, which lost more than seven percent in the same time period.
Among all industries, the retail sector invests most in advertising, taking 22 percent of the total 2011 U.S. ad spend. However, in the ranking of companies with largest ad investment in the U.S., retailers bring up the rear. Topping the list are InterActivCorp - an internet company running such portals as about.com, dictionary.com or vimeo.com, Experian - an information services group and General Motors.
Google is indisputably the market leader in the ad selling business, taking 41.3 percent of the U.S. market in 2012 and expanding its hold of the market by over one percent annually over the next couple of years. Among the remaining market leaders, Facebook and Microsoft are expected grow as well, whereas AOL's and Yahoo!'s shares and ad revenues are expected to contract.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7
|Advertising revenue of Google sites||$37.45bn||Details →|
|Facebook's advertising revenue worldwide||$17.23bn||Details →|
|Microsoft's online advertising revenue||$3.2bn||Details →|
|Annual advertising revenue of AOL||$1,613.4m||Details →|
- Digital ad spend in the U.S. 2012-2018Digital ad spend in the U.S. 2012-2018
Digital advertising spending in the United States from 2012 to 2018 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Global online advertising spending in 2011, by countryGlobal online advertising spending in 2011, by country
Global online advertising spending in 2011, by country (in million U.S. dollars)
- Advertising expenditure in the U.S. from 2006 to 2012, by mediumAdvertising expenditure in the U.S. from 2006 to 2012, by medium
Distribution of advertising expenditure in the United States from 2006 to 2012, by medium
- Digital ad market share of ad-selling companies in the U.S. 2012-2015, by revenueDigital ad market share of ad-selling companies in the U.S. 2012-2015, by revenue
Net digital ad market share of major ad-selling companies in the United States from 2012 to 2015, by revenue
- Leading internet display advertisers in the U.S. 2013Leading internet display advertisers in the U.S. 2013
Measured advertising spending of leading internet display advertisers in the United States in 2013 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Global online ad spend 2010-2018Global online ad spend 2010-2018
- Local online advertising spending in the U.S. in 2013, by formatLocal online advertising spending in the U.S. in 2013, by format
- Digital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by categoryDigital advertising spending in the U.S. in 2012, by category