Mobile Internet - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Mobile Internet Usage
As of 2013, worldwide mobile phone internet user penetration was 73.4 percent. In 2017, figures suggest that more than 90 percent of internet users will access online content through their phones.
Mobile internet usage has worked its way into the daily life of smartphone and tablet users, enabling consumers to access information and share their lives on the go. Mobile social networks and apps are increasingly popular during everyday activities and social events. This constant connectedness to social networks is perpetuated by the fear of missing out. According to recent studies, 56 percent of U.S. social networkers suffer from FOMO.
Mobile devices and internet also influence the way consumers interact with media and has many further implications for TV ratings, advertising, mobile commerce and more. Second-screen usage refers to the usage of a second screen, generally a smartphone or tablet device, while also watching television. Mobile media consumption such as mobile audio streaming or mobile video are also on the rise - in the United States, more than 100 million users are projected to access online video content via mobile device. Mobile video revenue is comprised of pay-per-view downloads, advertising as well as subscriptions.
The usage of mobile devices for shopping activities has also become increasingly popular. Mobile commerce is still going strong, as U.S. retail m-commerces sales via smartphone are projected to surpass 22 billion dollars in 2015. Leading global retailers have also shown significant mobile commerce sales - Amazon's projected mobile web sales in 2013 were estimated to amount to 8 billion U.S. dollars. Currently, mobile payments are used by about 20 percent of global smartphone users, showing large potential in emerging markets.
|Forecasted global mobile data traffic for 2018||15,9EB/mo||Details →|
|Global mobile video traffic per month||793,944TB||Details →|
|Mobile share of organic search engine visits in the U.S.||31%||Details →|
|Mobile phone penetration worldwide||48.9%||Details →|
|Mobile phone penetration in the U.S.||64.4%||Details →|
|Percentage of peak period aggregate traffic of YouTube||18.02%||Details →|
|Mobile-only unique visitors to Apple Inc.||65.36m||Details →|
|Percentage of time spent on gaming apps on iOS and Android devices||32%||Details →|
|B2C m-commerce sales in the U.S.||$83.93bn||Details →|
|Mobile device usage for product search||34%||Details →|
|Mobile conversion rate of Amazon.com||7%||Details →|
- Time spent on apps on iOS and Android devices 2014, by categoryTime spent on apps on iOS and Android devices 2014, by category
Distribution of time spent on apps on iOS and Android devices in April 2014, by category
- Forecast: global mobile data traffic 2010-2018Forecast: global mobile data traffic 2010-2018
Global mobile data traffic from 2010 to 2018 (in exabytes per month)
- Mobile internet: distribution of time spent on web and apps 2013-2014Mobile internet: distribution of time spent on web and apps 2013-2014
Percentage of time spent on mobile web and apps on connected devices in 2013 and 2014
- Leading global e-retailers in 2014, ranked by mobile conversion rateLeading global e-retailers in 2014, ranked by mobile conversion rate
Leading e-retailers worldwide in 2014, ranked by mobile conversion rate
- North America: mobile phone internet user penetration 2012-2017North America: mobile phone internet user penetration 2012-2017
Mobile phone internet user penetration in North America from 2012 to 2017
- Number of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by frequencyNumber of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016, by frequency
- Number of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016Number of mobile internet users in the United Kingdom (UK) Q3 2013-Q2 2016
- Gender distribution of mobile internet users in selected countries 2013Gender distribution of mobile internet users in selected countries 2013