Android Dominates Outside of the United States
The iPhone 5 has helped Apple to stage a remarkable comeback in the U.S. smartphone market.
According to Kantar Worldpanel data, Apple’s phones accounted for 48.1 percent of smartphone sales in the twelve week period ending October 28. In the same period last year, iPhones had accounted for no more than 22.4 percent of total smartphone sales.
The United States appear to be Apple’s last stronghold however.
In all other regions in Kantar’s dataset, Android is far ahead of competing platforms.
In China, Brazil, Australia and the EU5 countries, Android’s market share hovers around 60 percent, while iOS devices account for 0.4 percent (Brazil) to 29.4 percent (Australia) of sales.
- iOS and Android: mobile device activations on Christmas day 2012iOS and Android: mobile device activations on Christmas day 2012
- Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2015Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2015
- iOS and Android app user retention rate 2012iOS and Android app user retention rate 2012
- China: production of cell phones by month June2016China: production of cell phones by month June2016
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Share of smartphone operating systems sales in Great Britain 2014-2016Share of smartphone operating systems sales in Great Britain 2014-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens