Tablet Competition Is Heating Up
Global tablet shipments soared to 52.5 million units in the fourth quarter of 2012, as competition continues to heat up
Apple remains on top of the tablet market, but lost market share for the second consecutive quarter, both on a sequential and a year-over-year basis. The iPad mini helped Apple to increase shipments to 22.9 million units in the fourth quarter, but the company's market share slipped to 43.9 percent from 51.7 percent in last year's holiday quarter.
Ranked second, Samsung shipped 7.9 million tablets for a market share of 15.1 percent in the fourth quarter. Amazon shipped 6 million Kindle Fire tablets capturing 11.5 percent of the market. Asus' shipped 3.1 million units, most of them being Google-branded Nexus 7 tablets.
Microsoft failed to make it into the top 5, as the company only shipped 0.9 million Surface tablets for a market share of 1.7 percent.
Worldwide shipments of tablets from 2010 to 2018 (in million units)
Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2018
Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 4th quarter 2013 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2013, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems from 2010 to 2013, by quarter
Global market share held by tablet operating systems 2010-2013, by quarter
Yes, please send me a daily reminder for the 'Chart of the Day'
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter