Android Becomes Leading Tablet OS in 2013
Around 49 percent of all tablets shipped in 2013 will run Android OS, according to a recent forecast by IDC. This would rank Google’s operating system ahead of its major competitor, Apple’s iOS, for the very first time. In 2012, more than 50 percent of all tablets shipped were iPads.
In the future, it appears that the competition between Android and iOS will hit a stalemate. One reason for this may be, that Microsoft, competing with both Windows and Windows RT, will have a 10 percent share of the tablet market by 2017.
Android Blows Past iOS in Global Tablet Market
This chart shows worldwide tablet sales in 2012 and 2013, broken down by operating system.
The Tablet Revolution
This chart compares iPad sales to PC sales. In the fourth quarter of 2011, Apple's tablet outsold all major PC manufacturers.
Apple Dominates Tablet Market Ahead of 'iPad Mini' Release
This chart shows global tablet shipments from Q2 2010 to Q2 2012. In Q2 2012, Apple sold 17 million iPads, accounting for 68 percent of worldwide tablet sales.
iPad Eclipses iPhone Launch
This chart shows cumulative global unit shipments in the first 10 quarters after the launches of Apple's mobile gadgets: the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad.
Apple's Earnings in a Nutshell
This infographic illustrates Apple's results for quarter that ended December 31, 2012.
Worldwide tablet shipments from 2nd quarter 2010 to 4th quarter 2013 (in million units)
Worldwide tablet shipments 2010-2013, by quarter
Global Apple iPad sales from 3rd quarter 2010 to 1st quarter 2014 (in million units)
Apple iPad sales worldwide 2010-2014, by quarter
Worldwide shipments of tablets from 2010 to 2017 (in million units)
Global tablet shipments forecast 2010-2017
Yes, please send me a daily reminder for the 'Chart of the Day'
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter